Windows 10 bootable usb infected?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

pasi458

Great
Apr 13, 2018
I've been trying to clean my pc after a recent infection so i've tried Dbaning my HDDand clean installing windows... yet i keep getting a recurring virus which is taking up my disk % and slowing my pc down. So i'm wondering perhaps if the usb i install windows with is infected and if it is how did it manage to even get infected?

Solution

Scrolling back...
A virus cannot survive a DBAN of that drive.
A virus cannot survive multiple deletions of all partitions (you did this, correct?)
This Chromium only appears after the install of AVG.
The Chrome browser is a default option in the AVG install.

Either you have corrupted install files from somewhere, or AVG is carrying some of that Chrome stuff with it.

USAFRet

Illustrious

This is a brand new AVG install. Downloaded direct from AVG.

Installing AVG and simply accepting the defaults, installs Google Chrome!
6PDdwFH.png

It said it was going to do it, you said OK, it did it.

USAFRet

Illustrious

OK...so start over.
Monitoring at each step.

Install, deleting ALL partitions on the drive. ALL of them.
Does this chromium appear?

Install something..AVG maybe.
Does it appear?

Install Malwarebytes.
Does it appear?

Basically...test at each step to see where it happened.

If it happened from the very beginning, your install media is compromised.

pasi458

Great
Apr 13, 2018
Okay deleted all my partitions did a fresh install with my new windows usb.
Installation went fine and pc was normal as usual so then i went ahead and installed avg which again caused the pc get spike up really high in disk usage and chromium appeared in my software registry..

Strangly i found some suspicious files in my windows32 folder which have been recently modified called perfh009.dat, perfstringbackup, and avgBoot which doesn't let me delete it oddly.

Also i should mention that there's a AVG Service process in the task manager which won't let me end task it

USAFRet

Illustrious

So Chromium only appeared after you installed AVG?
Then it would appear that the AVG install still has some Chromium gunk in there, whether you select that or deselet it.

Solution?
Use some other antivirus.

pasi458

Great
Apr 13, 2018
Yea pc was completely normal prior to installing avg and no chromium aswell..
Gonna try a another antivirus thnx
Just wondering how would the avg install be corrupted if i'm downloading it from the website?

USAFRet

Illustrious

Not 'corrupted'...that Chrome stuff is in there by design. Or sloppy programming from AVG.

USAFRet

Illustrious

Scrolling back...
A virus cannot survive a DBAN of that drive.
A virus cannot survive multiple deletions of all partitions (you did this, correct?)
This Chromium only appears after the install of AVG.
The Chrome browser is a default option in the AVG install.

Either you have corrupted install files from somewhere, or AVG is carrying some of that Chrome stuff with it.

Solution

pasi458

Great
Apr 13, 2018
Yep, definetely something up when i indtall avg.. Wont let me uninstall it nor cani delete it from the reigstry...
i doubt it anything external so im wondering is it a bios virus all along?