Windows 10 (Finally) Gives Power to the People

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

s997863

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2007
"Funny really... At first, MS "learned" their lesson with Vista, which allowed them to make Windows 7 a success. "

It really scares me the way people bash Vista & praise 7, because to this day I see very very little difference between the two, after years of using both at the office. Either I'm totally dumb/blind, or the rest of the world is so pliable & brainwashed that MS marketing is a thing to be truly feared. I don't know which is worse.

Just one example is the way white space is handled in explorer file pane details view. In 7, you can no longer click on the empty white space to the right side of a filename like you did back in XP. The entire row for each filename is like a touchscreen button (just visualize metro colors in your explorer), and it's torture to my productivity when the page is full of files (no empty space on the bottom) and I have to hover cursor over a selected file and then CTRL+LMB just to deselect the file, so I can view the total folder contents size on the bottom taskbar, which I still need classicShell to see. It's just a pain to use, and there's no technical limitation preventing MS from keeping the explorer behavior similar to XP or allowing user choice of both. It's just warming people up for things to come. Just try the large icons view, and keep clicking on the horizontal white space between icons until your eyes perceive the invisible metro button boundaries.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
After using for few hours Win 10 i switched back to Start Screen (you have an option for this now). Start menu is plain silly .. to have to navigate to rows of apps to get to your favourite ones ... I know is not a common oppinion but i like Start Screen more than Start Menu. And yes, i know that i can Pin Apps to that Start menu but this would make it take about half the screen anyway and there`s no way to arrange them in groups like in the Start Screen.

My Xonar Phoebus software doesn`t work with Windows 10 ... i don`t have Dolby anymore.

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
Except that among the people who tried the Modern UI, there was NOT a negative attitude towards it once people realized "Oh cool! This thing is just a full-screen start menu with additional functionality! Wow, look at that.... I can pin my most used applications straight to the first screen after pressing the Windows key, so I do not have to go folder fishing!"

surphninja

Honorable
May 14, 2013
What they seemed to forget with Windows 8, and what they need to keep in mind with Windows 10, is that a huge percentage of their customer base comes from the business world. Apps and games and touch features are nice for home users, but these features need to be easily disabled for business environments that need the plain jane productivity flavor of Windows.

I've had some of my users try to bring in their Windows 8 laptops for business use, and it's been a nightmare to support. It takes a lot of work to make this OS look and behave professionally.

What has set them apart from Apple and given them such a big market share was Microsoft's focus on professionalism and productivity. It's not a good idea to leave an opening for another company to move in and take over that slot.

surphninja

Honorable
May 14, 2013
They should also keep in mind that probably 90% of users do not currently have touch screen monitors, and even if they manage to get home users to migrate over, it'll be a cold day in hell when they can convince businesses to migrate and spend the extra dough on touchscreen monitors.

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
Microsoft has been treading on very dangerous ground, trying to milk more cash out of people with new versions. Whether or not they really are or are not "better" (I'm inclined to think they are neutral at best, mostly change for the sake of change), the fact that they are "different" makes them sufficient difficult, if only initially, to prompt people to consider alternatives. If a critical mass is ever reached, Microsoft will be done, likely in a very short period of time.

Outlander_04

Distinguished
BANNED
Nov 18, 2008
Windows 8 is not windows . Full screen apps that cut your ability to multitask are hopeless . But running the apps in windows , and pinning them to a start menu : EXCELLENT
I will be updating

grwhgw

Estimable
Oct 2, 2014
just release a faster, more stable, windows xp every 5-7 years and you win microsoft. easiest job ever.

Pherule

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
Yawn. Still on 8.0, zero updates installed. Works fine for me with classic shell. The only real thing that bugs me now is the lack of backward compatibility. No Microsoft, Virtual machines and OSes inside OSes isn't good enough. I need to be able to run stuff XP can run. Give me 1 good reason to upgrade to Windows 10 next year.

Toddskins

Honorable
Feb 14, 2012
Windows 7 64-bit is phenomenal. I have no intention of changing. I've Norton Ghosted my machine and can restore it as often as I like, and keep a continual stream of backups of various patch upgrades to add to a newly restored Ghost image.

Windows 8 and 9 (10) are for children - kids who like to swing their arm and fingers to move a window on a touch screen - yet another way for injury to occur. Carpel tunnel into the bicep too, I suppose. This is what happens when young kids become leaders. No wisdom.

fatetrader

Honorable
Jan 11, 2014
Why can't they just stick to numbers in order... this one will be windows 10 next one probably will be windows 3 or whatever ludicrous idea they will come up with...

Vorpike

Estimable
Jun 24, 2014
Eh, not as much hype as Windows 8, with a totally revised interface, just some more qualities of life and trivial stuff.

AndreT

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012
Start menu is still broken. You can't easily create folders and move apps into those folders. I don't appreciate having to go through 20 apps I'll never use to get to the programs I want. Let me organize the start menu the way that I want. I tried to give feedback about this, but the comments app crashed. Good news is that Start8 still works and immediately clears up the start menu. Left windows key brings up the cleaned up and organized start menu, right windows key brings up the default windows 10 start menu flooded with default apps. Works better than original. Brilliant!

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
1 - s997863 - On VISTA:
Vista runs fine, after SP2 and you have a butt-load of memory... at least 8GB... because how it handles memory. Sure if you run a few programs, it's okay... but what I do with Win7 would totally choke Vista to death. Vista didn't offer any change in functionality over XP other than the start menu. Win7 made improvements in user interaction, stability and memory performance.

2 - Seems like the Startmenu in Win10 is still broken... but its a early preview release. Can they actually listen and fix it more so? Seems like a 3rd party add-on is still doing a better job than the mega-giant Microsoft... which doesn't give me faith or confidence in Microsoft to get the job done.

3 - Am I willing to give Win10 a try? Sure... buy and use it? Doubtful... its still the UGLIEST thing on a computer since Windows 3.1.

Status
Not open for further replies.