Windows 10 - Network is set to "Public" is this a problem?

Ste1337

Estimable
May 29, 2014
Hi,

i have recently upgraded to windows 10 and i have also moved over to a new ISP, i have moved from wireless to ethernet also. But now under my Network and Sharing Center my active network is showing as a public network (this is just how it automatically set up, everything was plug and play when it came).

I never thought anything of it until i noticed sometimes when i run a program and it asks which connection to use it says that public networks often have little or no security.

Is this anything i need to be worried about?

Thanks for any advice :)

Joey2oo9

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
Public is fine

Public network = By default, the public network location type is assigned to any new networks when they are first connected. A public network is considered to be shared with the world, with no protection between the local computer and any other computer. Therefore, the Windows Firewall rules associated with the public profile are the most restrictive. This blocks the following apps and services from working: PlayTo, file sharing, network discovery, and automatic setup of network printers, TVs, and other devices.

Private network = A private network location type can be for home or small office networks, or when you know and trust the people and devices on the network. This setting allows your PC to connect to a homegroup and devices on the network, such as printers.

Domain network = The domain network location type is detected when the local computer is a member of an Active Directory domain, and the local computer can authenticate to a domain controller for that domain through one of its network connections.