Windows 10 Updates Disable Battery on Lenovo Laptop

bmansouri

Commendable
Apr 13, 2016
I have a 6 month old Lenovo Y40-80 with Windows 10 installed. About a month ago, following a Windows update, the battery completely stopped functioning (Battery indicator would say "0% plugged-in, not charging). The laptop would constantly need to be plugged in to work.

Two weeks later, the battery unexpectedly started working again. Shortly after, another Windows update caused it to stop working. Again, sometime later, battery began to work.

This morning, battery was fully charged. I closed the lid for a few hours with laptop unplugged. I opened it up later, to find that the battery was at 0% and that Windows updates had been installed.

After troubleshooting with Windows, they concluded that the BIOS software is outdated and incompatible with Windows 10. Sure enough, there is a new BIOS version on Lenovo's site. Only problem--it won't install without 30% battery charge, even with the laptop plugged in.

I'm pretty confident that this is not a hardware issue, but neither Windows, nor Lenovo is willing to admit fault, and neither are being much help. Any tips?

10tacle

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008

That laptop was introduced in January 1015. Even if he bought it with Win8 factory installed and later did a Win10 update, Lenovo should have had Win10 compatible BIOS update available. This is a Lenovo fail. It's not like he's trying to update a 5-year old laptop with Win7 to Win10.