Windows 3.11 To Disappear In November (really)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
[citation][nom]JDocs[/nom]Lets hope XP lasts this long. Vista is scary.[/citation]

Vista isn't scary, JDocs. It works just as well as XP did on my parent's 4 year old PC (which I have upgraded very little, just 2.5GB's of memory in it now).
Actually, with most things, it is FASTER than my parent's machine was running Windows XP MCE. I didn't believe that either, until I booted up Doom 3, turned the settings up a full notch (from 640X480 to 800X600), and it ran at the same framerates in the new, higher quality settings.
Everything else seems zippier as well. Now, that might be because Vista's driver scheme and updates fixed a few problems..... however, I doubt that is solely what it is.

G

I agree. Vista is great. Upgraded and never looked back.

Q6600 OC @ 3.0ghz
Nvidia 8800GT 512MB
2+ TB disk space
4GB memory

Myrdek

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2008
As many people could say the opposite av3ng3r85, your personal experience has no value compared to the majority. And from what I've seen on the SP1 reviews they hardly improved on anything.

Games Faster? Some yes, Most no, especially if you play a lot of older games like me. Copying and moving files? Twice as slow as XP. Compatibility? Improved yes, but nowhere near as high as XP which has a 97% I think I read somewhere.

njalterio

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008
Myrdek, I wouldn't say av3ng3r85's experience with Vista has no value. Did you notice the hardware spec's that he posted? Have you ever used Vista on a computer you are familiar with?

The people who tend to not like Vista are the same ones who expect it to run well on their older computer.

G

Vista is crap. No good for Business or Games. Just wait for Windows 7.

Myrdek

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2008
A lot of people do try to run it on an old system and complain about the performances, I agree with that. But my complaints are about other factors that are unrelated. I'm not saying Vista is a Bad OS, it's just a step back with many features. (As well as forward with others)

It all depends on what you want from your system. I know that for me it would be a huge step backward because all the things that are better in Vista I'm not interested in. Except for DX10 which practically no game uses, even the D3 devs says it's highly unlikely they will implement it.

That's also ignoring the huge price tag :)

G

Windows for Workgroups 3.11 and Windows 3.11 were separate apps. WfW had an embedded IP stack, plain Windows didn't. The only difference between Windows 3.1 and 3.11? The hooks that enabled OS2 to run it as an embedded app were disabled by Microsoft. OS2 users that upgraded (I didn't!) were outraged, so Microsoft had to release instructions as to which DLL's to replace in 3.11 from 3.1

psycho@home

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2007
I've had Vista since 2/2007. Sure driver support sucked at first,but
not now. I have XP Pro. also and while it only locks up occasionally,
I can't remember the last time Vista froze on me.As for the price,I
bought the Home Premium Upgrade for 69$ and have seen it since for 59$. You just have to buy the Student Edition (exactly the same as the regular version) and be able to show you're in school or college
(recent report card or student ID) or you have a kid in school. I
almost hate to say it,because I'm no fan of Microsoft, but it really runs great on my machine.
E6300 OC to 3.4Ghz
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L
4 Gigs Crucial Ballistic DDR2-800 OC to 1000
3 Seagate 320 Gig drives
BFG 8800GTS-512-OC

jalek

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
Wait for a read problem with a HDD. XP lags while the system's busy trying to resolve it, but Vista completely goes non-responsive and won't time out even if left on overnight. I prefer the former, so I can at least save whatever I'm doing before rebooting or shutting down to remove the HDD.

Vista's prettier though, so I understand the desire to upgrade.

G

I couldn't disagree more about Vista's problems being a thing of the past. My Dell Latitude D630 has had nothing but problems with Vista loaded on it, (I've actually rebuilt it again with Vista thinking I had a corrupt initial installation) I get frequent BSODs, and other services that just stop for no reason such as Windows: Management Instrumentation, User Profile Service, Group Policy Client, etc. Not to mention the inability to run JVM makes Vista much more unusable to me, so much that I had to build a Windows XP VM session to do anything java related on my Vista machine. I pray Windows 7.0 is more stable than Windows ME v2.0 (Vista).

Status
Not open for further replies.