Solved! Windows 7 Graphics Driver Incompatible With Windows 10

Vivvvv

Commendable
Mar 22, 2019
I have a Windows 7 HP Elitebook 8460p notebook. I have the latest BIOS and drivers. I tried to upgrade to Windows 10 but received a warning that my Intel HD Graphics 3000 wasn't compatible with Win 10.
The HP and Intel sites do not have later Windows 7 drivers for the device, nor do they offer Windows 10 drivers for it.
I have found a Windows 10 driver at www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/ScopedViewInline.aspx?updateid=c7091b0c-cc7c-4c86-bfb3-0d8278bb1a07 and am wondering if I can install it on my WIndows 7 system before trying to upgrade to Windows 10 again.
I'm worried that I'll screw up the video in Windows 7. I'm also worried that if I try to force an update without have a compatible driver, I'll end up with Windows 10 with no video.
Advice would be much appreciated.

Solution
Thanks for your good advice, Titan.
Do you know if it's possible to replace the Intel HD Graphics 3000 with something that would be compatible with Windows 10, and what that would be? Although I have a pretty good understanding of Windows and drivers, my experience peters out at this point. Perhaps the graphics card is an integral part of the motherboard, in which case the cost of upgrade would be hugely prohibitive????????

You can't change the video chip, it's in the CPU and your laptop does not have an add-on slot for a replaceable video card.

You would have to install Win 10 then install the driver from the website. I have gotten the Intel HD drivers working on Windows 10 before. Not super simple but not too hard, you...
Installing a driver for 10 prior to installing 10 wouldn't work. This would not stop your system from saying it isn't compatible.

The Intel HD Graphics 3000 just isn't compatible with Windows 10.

The only way it 'might' (and this is a big might) is to connect an external monitor, boot the device and then see if you can install 10 with that monitor as your preferred.

If (a big if) it works, then you would be able to, after the install, set your system not to use the Intel HD Graphics 3000 and use your other GPU. Again, if it will allow it to work. I have seen it work on one computer and not work on another, so there is no guaranty of it working for you. Just so you know.

Vivvvv

Commendable
Mar 22, 2019
Do you know if it's possible to replace the Intel HD Graphics 3000 with something that would be compatible with Windows 10, and what that would be? Although I have a pretty good understanding of Windows and drivers, my experience peters out at this point. Perhaps the graphics card is an integral part of the motherboard, in which case the cost of upgrade would be hugely prohibitive????????

You can't change the video chip, it's in the CPU and your laptop does not have an add-on slot for a replaceable video card.

You would have to install Win 10 then install the driver from the website. I have gotten the Intel HD drivers working on Windows 10 before. Not super simple but not too hard, you just need to manually point the hardware to use the downloaded driver. But for a non-IT person, sticking to the operating system the laptop came with is a good idea. Or at least have a backup of the setup so you can revert back if Win 10 has issues.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS