Windows 8.1 Laptop immediately terminates whenever I open graphics intensive program (i.e. gaming)

Jack Phillips

Honorable
Nov 30, 2013
I recently upgraded my laptop to Windows 8.1, since doing so every time I attempt to load a game my pc immediately shuts down, without any warning. There is no indication visually (And I have no logs to tell me either way since the computer terminates instantly) that the actual (non-splash) game executable launches. The system gives no indication that there has been an error upon restarting, for example there is no message indicating that the laptop overheated or that the pc has been damaged in any way from the forced shut down. I changed my desktop background immediately before attempting to play the game, however this change was reverted upon restarting. I have found no incident similar to this and have been unable to make any progress alone. Help would be appreciated. My laptop is a HP ENVY m6 running Windows 8.1.

Jack Phillips

Honorable
Nov 30, 2013

Jack Phillips

Honorable
Nov 30, 2013

No problem, thanks for your help. Is there anything you can suggest on how to revert to 8.0, or anything else I can do?

Jack Phillips

Honorable
Nov 30, 2013

hi

it turns out that I am actually running on a dual graphics configuration, however I downloaded HWMonitor and it seems my CPU is running at 100*C on low usage so that's not good... any idea why?

dualcoremax

Estimable
Apr 10, 2015
Keep your laptop updated with latest driver software for windows 8.1 .
In some cases win* drivers are not support for win 8.1.
If problem exist yet then it is possible to check weather your laptop has an issue with overheating