Estimable
Jun 30, 2014
I have a ASUS N550JV, here are the specs:
Intel® Core™ i7 4700HQ Processor 2.4-3.2Ghz
8GB Ram DDR3
4gb DDR3 VRAM Nvidia GeForce 750m
Integrated Intel® HD Graphics 4600

Here's the problem:
The computer was windows 8 when I brought it and I upgraded to 8.1 after 3 days. It has been 3 months since my purchase and the screen is doing weird things. It works fine when the screen is displaying something that has a darker color but when it's displaying a screen with large amounts of light colors or a lot of white the screen cuts to black. Everything works after the screen goes black as in I can still hear a Youtube video playing or a game continuing, and it's not completely black. I can still see the screen shining after it cuts to black. fn + f7 on my laptop shuts off the screen and switches it back on, that normally solves the problem as well as putting the computer to sleep and bringing it back on again. But today It's worse, normally when I use fn + f7 to shut down the screen it stays black without the screen lighting but today the screen turns on again automatically after I shut it off and turns into the black screen with the light at the back.

Here's what I think might have caused the problem:
1. I know the N550JV is a multimedia laptop designed for video streaming but I optimized it for gaming. The display was controlled by both the Nvidia card and the Intel card but I've switched the nvidia card to turn on only when a game starts, so the display is now only run by the intel card.
2. I overclocked my Nvidia card so I've increased its power consumption, I had the feeling that the computer was not distributing the power correctly and that's why it caused the black screens. But clocking it back and decreasing the power consumption back to the default didn't fix it. I still think I might have something to do with the power consumption.
3. Windows 8.1: I know that it's really buggy at this stage and has a lot of problems currently. I had this shutdown prevention bug caused by 8.1 but I fixed it. So maybe this is caused by a 8.1 bug?
4. Viruses...I torrent, a lot. So maybe a virus got in somewhere but my antivirus isn't picking up any...

Help is much appreciated :) Thanks!

vnvizow

Estimable
Jun 30, 2014

No, but when it cuts to black it gives a flash of a line that's white and purple at the top and bottom. After 30 minutes of startup the black screens normally don't happen anymore but there were cases during intense gaming when this happens.

SpekNL

Estimable
Mar 20, 2015
Hi there,

I know it's been a while since the last post was added in here but I was wondering what you did in the end.
I'm experiencing the exact same problem as you described. Also an Asus N550JV. Last year I sent my laptop in for repairs because of this, but now, almost a year later, the problem is starting all over again. I suspect a software bug/glitch that's causing this because when I plug in an external monitor the screen will pop on again. Just curious what solution you found.

SpekNL

vnvizow

Estimable
Jun 30, 2014

I sent my laptop in for repair and the ASUS guys said they found a partially disconnected display connection and a fried component inside the screen (I game on the laptop and sometimes it reaches 90 degree Celsius (I know it's bad)). They replaced the screen and it has been fine since, they just advised not to operate the laptop at high temperatures. I got a high performance laptop cooler just in case and the issue haven't appeared for 7 months