Question Windows Defender

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 10, 2022
Hi. I currently have Spectrum cable/internet. They just replaced McAfee antivirus with F-Secure Security antivirus. However, I am migrating from Spectrum cable/internet to T-Mobile 5G and T-Mobile does not provide any antivirus for the internet. Since the McAfee will likely stop working soon, and I will not have access to F-Secure on my Windows-10 desktop PC, would it be sufficient for my desktop PC to just activate the free Windows Defender? I had read somewhere that with being a cautious user on the PC, that Windows Defender will provide enough protection. Thanks, John.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I use Windows' built-in anti-virus on all of my systems and have ZERO issues. That being said, if you do dumb things and go to dangerous places, no anti-virus will protect you.

I'm not sure what changing ISPs has to do with the anti-virus application you are using. As long as the license is valid, you can use any product you want.

Reactions: Tommy Sawyer
Dec 10, 2022
I use Windows' built-in anti-virus on all of my systems and have ZERO issues. That being said, if you do dumb things and go to dangerous places, no anti-virus will protect you.

I'm not sure what changing ISPs has to do with the anti-virus application you are using. As long as the license is valid, you can use any product you want.
Thanks for your reply. By 'Windows built-in antivirus', I presume you mean Windows Defender? By changing my ISP from Spectrum to T-Mobile, I would think that the current McAfee that they provided and supported for free, will not continue to function for free, meaning I would have not antivirus because T-Mobile does not provide it. So my plan was to uninstall the Spectrum-provided free McAfee and then activate Windows Defender.

Dec 10, 2022
I too use nothing more than Win Defender, across all my personal systems.

The best AV is that squishy thing between your ears.
Thanks for your reply. I presume with Windows Defender you have not had any virus issues? That is my plan, to go with Windows Defender only. Also, is there any action on your part, or does it function all by itself and automatically update itself?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Thanks for your reply. By 'Windows built-in antivirus', I presume you mean Windows Defender? By changing my ISP from Spectrum to T-Mobile, I would think that the current McAfee that they provided and supported for free, will not continue to function for free, meaning I would have not antivirus because T-Mobile does not provide it. So my plan was to uninstall the Spectrum-provided free McAfee and then activate Windows Defender.
Yes, Defender. I stopped using McAfee many years ago. I do not consider it a very good product, to be honest. Defender should serve you well.

To add to your question directed to USAFRet, Defender will update itself, along with Windows, like any other update. It also runs in the background all of the time.

USAFRet

Illustrious
Thanks for your reply. I presume with Windows Defender you have not had any virus issues? That is my plan, to go with Windows Defender only. Also, is there any action on your part, or does it function all by itself and automatically update itself?
It updates almost daily.
No action on your part needed.

This is a sample of recent Defender updates on my Win 11 system:
Fhf43Y6.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.