Question Windows Desktop, not laptop Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 26, 2022
I want to pass this on to my Nephew, my Windows 10 desktop, as a server. The hard drive needs to be wiped clean. Any suggestions for a no hassle, just plain works type of hard drive wiper?

Thanks

LovelyBass

Great
Oct 4, 2022
If your PC has SSD drive, make secure erase. If it is HDD, use HDD Low Level Format Tool two times in row. There is only way to make files not recoverable

LovelyBass

Great
Oct 4, 2022
A fresh install of Windows will remove files that would prevent likely recovery of your files. Wiping all partitions as part of a Linux install would do the same and likely better since the filesystems are so different.
The windows not make low level format or secure erase in case if this is SSD, files can be restored!

USAFRet

Illustrious
The windows not make low level format or secure erase in case if this is SSD, files can be restored!
Not necessarily.

Last fall, I obtained a used, new to me, desktop.
A single SSD, Crucial MX500 1TB. Windows 11.

In December, that drive became a secondary drive, and a different SSD is now the OS drive.

Scanning that MX500 right now with Recuva, I see ZERO evidence of the original Win 11 installation.
I'm pretty sure I did NOT do a secure erase on this drive...it came from a trusted friend.
Possibly I did a diskpart /clean.

And of the files supposedly recoverable, a random selection shows only some of the small .txt files actually work.
Those only from what I have put on there in the last few months.
Anything else, (.png, .docx, .xlsx, .mp4)...all fail to open. And that is with Recuva stating "No overwritten clusters detected".

Status
Not open for further replies.