Windows Phone 7 is Finally Officially Finished

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

long2know

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
[citation][nom]rsg22[/nom]WP7 is going to blow everyone out of the water. I'll be back here to tell you I told you so in a few months time.[/citation]
I've used WP7 first hand. It is a good OS and it will be a good platform. Did it blow me out of the water? Nope. All this device is doing is providing parity to Microsoft's mobile platform with everyone else. Previously, I don't think they could even compete with WM6.5. I know my WM6.5 device was clunky and sad.

The only big draw, based on what I have seen and continue to see on twitter, is for developers. .NET developers will flock to it. Maybe if enough developers write unique software for the device, it will succeed. Otherwise, it still seems like it will be an up hill battle for Microsoft to gain market share with such a late entry.

With iPhone pushing ~ 60 million units sold and around 8 million per month, Android pushing 10 million units per month (I don't know their total), and Blackberry pushing at least 11 million units a month, I don't see where WP7 fits in.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]smlong426[/nom]I don't see where WP7 fits in.[/citation]
Same as Android did 2 years ago, expanding market and existing users replacing old handsets.
Isn't it obvious?

rsg22

Distinguished
May 3, 2010
[citation][nom]smlong426[/nom]I've used WP7 first hand. It is a good OS and it will be a good platform. Did it blow me out of the water? Nope. All this device is doing is providing parity to Microsoft's mobile platform with everyone else. Previously, I don't think they could even compete with WM6.5. I know my WM6.5 device was clunky and sad.The only big draw, based on what I have seen and continue to see on twitter, is for developers. .NET developers will flock to it. Maybe if enough developers write unique software for the device, it will succeed. Otherwise, it still seems like it will be an up hill battle for Microsoft to gain market share with such a late entry.With iPhone pushing ~ 60 million units sold and around 8 million per month, Android pushing 10 million units per month (I don't know their total), and Blackberry pushing at least 11 million units a month, I don't see where WP7 fits in.[/citation]

Hmmm, I may have been hasty in my "blow out the water" comment. Good post, and thanks for the insight.

I think the idea that it will integrate with other Microsoft devices in a way that my iPhone never did will be a BIG plus to it's usability in the ecosystem of hardware. I hate trying to get files of any kind to/from my iPhone.

Also, I think that the added services that go live with the launch (such as the XBL connectivity, for example) will add to the over experience. I still have high hopes for this.

cranium

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010
woot woot! now show me more of that WP7 device with the slide-out speaker. I wanna know what I'm dealing with when I have to listen to thugs/hipsters/etc. on the train blasting their ..erm.. music with new levels of clarity

o0RaidR0o

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]Isn't microsoft the latest to the party here?And i guess this is why my WM6 never found any updates on windows live..[/citation]
Actually I just updated my WM ROM yesterday from version 3.01xxx to 4.01xxx an OS Upgrade to Windows Mobile 6.5 COM 2.5. So I'm guessing your just looking in the wrong place.

fayzaan

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
[citation][nom]schizofrog[/nom]OK, so the OS is important, but it really comes down to the features of the hardware. If all WP7 devices have 5MP Cameras then this will be a let down because that hardware is so old.Also, why has there been no updated articles regarding the new Symbian^3 OS? Isn't the N8 about to launch in the next couple of weeks? Whats the review and expectations of that line?[/citation]

I completely disagree with you. Software is far more important than hardware. You could get the latest and greatest CPU, RAM, Video Cards but if they didn't give you any additional benefits to the cheapies, then why burn the money??

This is the reason I went from a Samsung Galaxy S (Android) To an Iphoen4 (Apple). Not because of hardware, but because Android is lacking in software quite significantly. All you find on the Android Market is freaking naked chicks this, naked chicks that! looks like a market for a bunch of kids who haven't reached puberty!

I couldn't find any good high quality games like I could for iPhone 4. So its not the hardware that counts, its the software.

And I think Microsoft will do very well in that sense as it will start porting xbox games and paying big $$ to developers such as gameloft to develop high quality games for this WP7 phone.

If it does, I will definitely switch to the WP7. I don't like Apple and its way of business, but there isn't anything in the market capable of competing with it so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS