Windows Phone 7 Will be an 'Ad Serving Machine'

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

matt314

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
[citation][nom]smlong426[/nom]You forgot the one (in my opinion) thing that will set this phone apart from all others: development tools.You will be able to create applications with a combination of Silverlight, Visual Studio, and XNA. Along those lines, for Silverlight, you get to use tools like Expression Blend. No other phone will have a remotely comparable set of IDE's.I have used Xcode for Cocoa Touch/iOS. It sucks.[/citation]

I agree that Xcode is the most terrible crap I've ever seen in my life. Objective-C is the single worst programming language I've ever seen in my life.

MS does have some pretty awesome tools, and VS/XNA is the best we could've hoped for. Silverlight on the other hand is mediocre at best. I really don't know why MS still supports silverlight, its no where near as powerful as Flash, and is very scarcely used in the real world....

matt314

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
[citation][nom]noADSphones4me[/nom]Including advertising on a cell phone is illegal, as it constitutes fraud, of rendered services for the service fee's intended purposes.Back boneing ad revenue while charging a monthly service fee which is not stilpulated in the contract is illegal, as they cant charge you a fee and give you unsolicited 3rd party vendor ads that you did not agree to pay for in the service contract.If they sell you an ad based phone with a discounted or free service contract and its stated as such then thats a choice, free phone service for letting them place ads to you. But charging a fee and also forcing unsolicited advertising through that mechanism is fraud of services rendered. Phone service fee charges are for phone call useage only, not them advertising revenue though your service fee's intended purposes.Imagine if your a doctor that services 911 calls, and you get a late night emergency someone having a heart attack, "" So sorry cant speak to you right, I now need to wait 30 seconds for this ad commerercail to pass before I can properly answer the phone to take your call, so if you die its not my fault"" lol[/citation]

You sir sound like a complete idiot. Read the article before mouthing of about stupid **** that's not even a little bit true.

*Post edited by moderator.* Cool it on the language.

Marco925

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]At least we have the option to opt-out, but i guess Micro$oft has always been about money.[/citation]
The whole point of a business is to make money, Not charity

randomizer

Distinguished
[citation][nom]jdubsbooth[/nom]What's next, ads in Microsoft Office?[/citation]
Nope, not next, that was last. See Office 2010 Starter.

It's no wonder that Windows Mobile has been on a downward market share trend since its inception. Lucky for M$ there's basically no market share left to lose so the only way they can go is up.

alphadark

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
It says "Toast is an opt-in/opt-out kind of affair"

At least it's freaking optional, what is all the fuse? Can you opt out of Iad?

sandmanwn

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2006
actually I'm going to put all of this on the author for doing the usual BS approach to "blogging" and putting the most important line last. It should be the first line of the article. More methodology for drumming up post counts. No need for integrity of pushing out good information and upping the industry you work in. Shame shame. You want to destroy the industry you work in, go right ahead but you'll regret it later.

jitpublisher

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
[citation][nom]walt526[/nom]Unless opting in for the ads somehow defrays the monthly cost of the phone service, I can't imagine why *ANYONE* would opt in to be on the receiving end of an "Ad Serving Machine."[/citation]
The problem is, the way the world works today, you can sell fried turds on a stick and people will buy them.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
Now that apple added advertising crap into their brand new super-duper-megamegical OS, I guess we have t cry a river about "evil corporations", to sumhow suppress this fact.

Oh wait, it wasn't even mentioned on this site. Now tell me, there is no pro-Jopple conspiracy... =/

dextermat

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007
i think it's only acceptable if
1) the phone is free
2) services with phone is free
3) if you break it, it's changed for free:

And im pretty sure these 3 condition aren't there.

DON'T BUY THESE BRAIN WASHING MACHINE

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
Let's see how it's implemented before we start a witch hunt. Nobody got pissed at Google for making the Android Market widget, did they?

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
Damn you, for the last time, Android Market App, I don't want twitter! I dun waaant it! Oh, look, a fun free game... click click download.

G

Speaking from a technical/development point of view, it is far easier to develop visually appealing applications for windows 7 phone than it currently is for windows mobile 6.5. Windows Phone 7 uses Silverlight and some xna (framework for xbox games). These two things make it far quicker and easier to make visually appealing applications. Its a big step forward in terms of competing with the eye candy offered by the iphone

stromm

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2004
I'm one of those rare people who don't pay attention to, nor care about any kind of ad. I flip channels on TV and radio when they come on, I hate the extra load time caused by them on web pages and I think it's BS that I have to give up my info so that my electronic devices will not receive them.

Laws need to be set that we "Opt IN", not "Opt out". If I don't tell you I want it, don't force it on me. Especially the stupid do not call list, which is corrupted by shady members who then trade the list of numbers to other companies and receiving money in return. The "do not call" list is a scam lobbied for by marketing companies.

Since my cell phone number is already flagged as unlisted, I shouldn't have to go to more trouble.

Also, I can't wait to see the lawsuits against Apple, et al over the fact that most people do not have unlimited data. As someone else pointed out. It's not legal to force usage on a cell subscriber when they (not the cell company or "vendor") are paying for that trasfer of data.

theuerkorn

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
I really think adds are effective but also overrated. I don't think placing them EVERYWHERE will improve market presence. For instance, I cannot remember when I actually clicked on an advertisement banner during web-searches. Am I the only one? Of course then again there is reason for all the scam e-mails. If nobody clicked on it it would stop fairly quickly. Just sad that users are generally considered revenue generating sheep who just need to be blasted with more ads in order to spend more money. Hmph.

Skippy27

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2009
"...but I don't understand it when it is something I am paying A LOT of money for."

You pay a lot for Satellite, Cable, IPTV, Movies and XM radio yet you still get bombarded with ADS from them as well.

LazyGarfield

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
I´m sure there will be a "hack" to avoid this kind of spam from "Toast" so I wouldnt bother. But I´m still not interested to buy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.