Windows Phones Users Still Experiencing Trouble with YouTube

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ethanolson

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
So Google is trying to prevent damage that stems from poor user experience by offering up no user experience instead. How 'bout they just optimize their stuff? I've messed around with just about every platform out there and I think their claims for poor performance/experience on WP8 is probably a load of BS.

87ninefiveone

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011
I got a WP8 because I was sick of iOS and wanted to try something different. I never would have thought that it would be such a pain to use any of the normal Google products on a mobile device, but Gmail access sucks, Google Maps can't even be accessed and most other Google services just plain don't work. Microsoft and Google both suck as far as I'm concerned.

halcyon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004
Okay. How many of you acquired a WP with the impression that you would have the same or superior Google experience that you'd have on an Android device and were then surprised by the maps and YouTube anomalies?

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
[citation][nom]mman74[/nom]What kind of post is that? I am going to make my own Phone OS tomorrow. I am going to use my own standards and protocols. If Google doesn't configure YouTube, Gmail, Google Maps to work off the bat on my system by noon tomorrow, I am going to throw all my toys out of my pram and call them d*icks.... or I can grow up a bit.[/citation]
Its NOTHING about that. Its that Google have actively decided to not allow WP devices to access maps through a simple web browser. Its NOTHING to do with google-made apps (they aren't required to make any) but the blocking based SOLELY on the fact that the browser requests come from a competitor.

robholden

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012
[citation][nom]mman74[/nom]What kind of post is that? I am going to make my own Phone OS tomorrow. I am going to use my own standards and protocols. If Google doesn't configure YouTube, Gmail, Google Maps to work off the bat on my system by noon tomorrow, I am going to throw all my toys out of my pram and call them d*icks.... or I can grow up a bit.[/citation]

What exactly is your problem? Windows Phone 8 uses the IE10 engine, which is now standards compliant, it's not webkit, but webkit isn't the standard... so maybe if everyone coded sites against the standard and not directly against webkit then we would all be ok...

plus Google's youtube APIs are private and they will not release them to MS so that MS can make a fully featured app...

kyuuketsuki

Distinguished
May 17, 2011
The problem only crops up for some Windows phones users. Those that have set Internet Explorer to 'Desktop' mode receive the prompting, while those on 'Mobile' mode don't.
On my Lumia 920, it's actually exactly the opposite. Using the mobile Youtube site, I get the prompt to download an app and it won't play the video. On the desktop site, I can play the videos just fine.

Further, if you want a Youtube app for WP8, pick up MetroTube.

G

Unimpressed, guys, with the immature downranking and such. IE10 has breakages; it is not as standards-compliant as webkit or even the falling star gecko. Furthermore, why should Google bother? I never saw Nokia guys complaining TO GOOGLE about the lack of apps, but rather to Nokia, back when it was Symbian and MeeGo.

And honestly, who are Windows Phone users to complain? Those users *bought* into an ecosystem that overall hasn't pushed the units to warrant the apps, and defaults to a browser with both flaws and a horrendous reputation. I bought an Android partially for the Google applications. I might also buy an iPhone for them. Simultaneously, I use Linux Mint and Bodhi Linux part-time, and I don't yell and scream for Apple to port Safari or Microsoft to port Word. Why? I can put up with LibreOffice. It's called tolerance. If Windows Phone is really made of loyal users, they'll just start a wave to a new standard spot for videos (won't happen soon in my opinion). Microsoft now supports ODT by demand, and it wasn't because they love Oracle or FOSS.

To Windows Phone users:
Besides, HTML5 video is still *beta.* Particularly on desktop. And what are you doing on desktop, anyway? I never go to Youtube on desktop on my Android, nor can I from Google's own browser! They yell at me that Chrome is out of date! My only option is the stock browser in desktop mode WITH FLASH. Get MS to bring that in and then you can start (irrationally still; you're on a phone) complaining about the desktop site.

To the guy who brought up Chrome OS:
Relevance? Google put together Chrome OS to hype up its platforms, not to try and beat Microsoft (short-term) in that space.

G

google has become the diabolical-trying to destroy everything to remain just them! cannot access gmail using internet explorer! on nokia phones with the windows operating system can not access google maps!!! the guys at google want to destroy competition and then do whatever they want!
PS: do not try to talk to someone at google because they will suspend your account! This is dictatorship!

Status
Not open for further replies.