Solved! Windows root>\system32\hal.dll

lylasia

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
Hello,
I have a compaq presario V6000 laptop. Was fine night b4 and turned on next day to find error mess. says file missing or corrupt lease reinstall windows root>\system32\hal.dll can someone please help on what to do in this situation? Thanks SD

Solution
I'm thinking you should find a new copy of hal.dll for your specific version of Windows (perhaps online... perhaps from a donor PC). On the busted computer, go into the command prompt only safe mode and copy that file into the directory you listed and then run the regsvr32 command on that particular DLL to re-register it with Windows. If safe mode doesn't work, boot from your Windows CD and choose the repair option and do it from the repair console. That might just work.

rodney_ws

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
I'm thinking you should find a new copy of hal.dll for your specific version of Windows (perhaps online... perhaps from a donor PC). On the busted computer, go into the command prompt only safe mode and copy that file into the directory you listed and then run the regsvr32 command on that particular DLL to re-register it with Windows. If safe mode doesn't work, boot from your Windows CD and choose the repair option and do it from the repair console. That might just work.

Solution

lylasia

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
I have another laptop that is my sons. He brought it to me hoping I could fix it. It is a Toshiba Satellite M45-S265. When I turn it on, it shows a black screen and its asking for a password. This laptop belonged to my dad and I gave it to my son when my dad passed away, We have no idea what password the system is requesting. Can anyone offer a suggestion? We cannot get past this screen into bios or anything else and there are no disks with the laptop. Thanks, Lylasia