Windows Store Infested with Fake Apps

Status
Not open for further replies.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
Well that is one of the main issues when you force an app store down everyone's throat. It creates a false sense of security which prevents people from doing their due diligence when looking for software.

Joseph DeGarmo

Estimable
Mar 12, 2014
I use common sense when browsing through apps. Whenever I encounter priced apps (or even some free apps) that look unfamiliar or shady, I just ignore them. I would only download apps from trusted companies, such as Facebook, Netflix, CNN, or Verizon.

w8gaming

Honorable
Dec 21, 2012
Windows store had a lot problems when it first started. For example, it did not include the number of downloads of the app. Normally I considered if number of downloads is in millions or more is a clear sign that the app is actually good and most likely not phoney. Then and the user comment. Haven't even used the Windows store for a more than a year so not sure how it is now. But fake apps were plenty in the past and apparently it is still just as bad now.

jll544

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I tried once to report a fake app to the Windows store, but Microsoft makes it absurdly difficult. Their complaint process requested that I submit legal proof and testimony that the app was misappropriating others' trademarks, content, etc. WTF? I'm not the owner, so of course I'm not going through all that. I was just trying to do the right thing and report the obviously fake app, but apparently Microsoft just doesn't care until it gets to the point of lawyers becoming involved.

portentous

Honorable
Oct 21, 2012
The policing and maintenance of the Windows Store is non-existent. Quality apps are few. Rubbish and rip-offs are plenty in the app store. And Microsoft is wondering why no one loves Windows 8. The least MS could do is putting out a few benchmark apps out there, whether free or paid. The Windows app store is definitely another reason MS has given the world to HATE Windows 8. Seriously, MS was caught out that most people still want to use the Desktop (to run real softwares), look at the messy App store. Anyone still play Solitaire on Windows 8?

kajjot

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010
I do agree with the fake app problem but this is mostly caused by legit publishers not making apps for windows 8.
I'm a big fan of Netflix and VLC apps but other than that there is nothing.
I would like Yahoo Sports, Major News Apps and wider range of media players.
In all fairness Apple Store didn't appear overnight so eventually it will be better.

damianrobertjones

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
So, article writer, how many of these apps also exist on the other stores? A whole load, thousands even, or maybe even the exact same amount.

These apps are offering a SERVICE and, as a user, it's up to ME to decide to buy them. I could buy products from Amazon that are less than original. How about eBay? Life is full of this stuff.

cats_Paw

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2007
I use common sense when browsing through apps. Whenever I encounter priced apps (or even some free apps) that look unfamiliar or shady, I just ignore them. I would only download apps from trusted companies, such as Facebook, Netflix, CNN, or Verizon.

Dude... you cant ask people to have common sense! Thats like asking them to think or somethin!

Adroid

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009
It's quite obvious that the windows 8 "I wish I was Apple but I'm not" attempt was a big fail.

Let's hope Microsoft returns focus back to what they are best at - dominating the world market for a business friendly OS platform that's designed for PCs and laptops - not touch screen tablets...

zbuckone

Estimable
Feb 14, 2014
It sounds to me like a fix is in order. Microsoft is usually pretty good in keeping up with things like this. Let's get on the ball.

Simon Mackay

Estimable
Aug 13, 2014
An issue that I see that is surfacing with app stores is the tendency for them to end up with a lot of junk just like with the bulletin boards, CD-ROMs and Internet download sites of the 1990s being full of crap shareware-driven software, sometimes known as "shovel-ware". What we have to do is pay a lot of attention to information like star ratings, reviews or whether the software was determined as a "hot pick", "editor's choice" or something similar by the app store or just simply had popular word-of-mouth commentary. Even paying attention to reviews from the same developer can identify whether one is turning out "crap-ware" or good stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.