Solved! Windows Using Less Speed Than Wireless Adapter Is Receiving

Tomokari

Prominent
Dec 13, 2021
Okay, so here we go.

Without warning my internet speed has tanked dramatically on my laptop, and only with my home network.

The Wireless Adapter in use is a Intel(R) Wireless-AC 9560
The wireless adapter shows that it is receiving close to the speed I'd expect in the windows adapter options, anywhere from 350-400+ mbps.

However, now we get to the fun part.

Any speed test I run (be it the native google search one, or speedtest.net/ookla, etc.) will show that I am not receiving that speed, and instead receive a far cry from it, at ~20-30mbps, but still receive the upload speed of ~30-34mbps, which is what I expect. This is universal too, with Steam receiving a max of 4.2MB/s, and the Oculus App receiving about the same.

I cannot for the life of me figure out the issue. I have tried resetting the network settings with the command line netsh commands, I have reinstalled the adapter just to be sure it wasn't that, I have tried to use a USB wifi adapter that said it received somewhere around 800mbps but still windows only used ~30mbps, I have moved closer to the router, I do not have this issue on other networks, I have tried the "allow computer to turn this device off" disabling, I have tried the disabling Autotuning (which actually made it worse) and more.

Any ideas?

I'm a little confused by your post. If I understand, you are saying the adapter speed is not the same as the actual speed you observe. That will always be true. The actual speed depends on the capabilities of the internet provider. The bps from your internet provider will limit your overall speed. Rarely will it approach the speed the interface card is capable of. What speed is your internet provider promising?

Also, if you are in an environment such as apartment building with lots of wireless signals, that will also slow you down as bandwidth is shared (yes I know about channels). Ditto for other users on your wireless network.

Tomokari

Prominent
Dec 13, 2021
I'm a little confused by your post. If I understand, you are saying the adapter speed is not the same as the actual speed you observe. That will always be true. The actual speed depends on the capabilities of the internet provider. The bps from your internet provider will limit your overall speed. Rarely will it approach the speed the interface card is capable of. What speed is your internet provider promising?

Also, if you are in an environment such as apartment building with lots of wireless signals, that will also slow you down as bandwidth is shared (yes I know about channels). Ditto for other users on your wireless network.

The adapter status speed shown in the settings that reflects the speed it's receiving, you can see it if you click to "status" by going to your network connections, (either through the network & internet settings > change adapter options, or going through control panel) then right click the adapter and click status.

Not in an apartment, and the issue doesn't change if I'm directly next to the router.

My Oculus Quest 2 itself (not concerning the Oculus App that is on my Laptop) receives a better download, around 102mbps, phone receives 220mbps or so, all on the same network and 5ghz.

Also, how do you get images to embed in these posts? I keep trying but they won't stay.