Windows Vista on Notebooks: Why and What Hardware?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

darklife41

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
Just so this is clear, I'll try once more to explain it.

RAID is setup in a separate configuration before windows boots. Usually this is accessed by pressing cntl/I or cntl/s immediately after BIOS loads. It may also have settings in your BIOS (usually to turn it on/off). The disc controllers are also part of the motherboard's chipset. Only the drivers are needed by the operating system.

In order to load an image, the image must first be created. This requires that you have the operating system running with the proper RAID drivers in the first place. You also need to create an Acronis boot disc. The RAID drivers are indeed installed on the boot disc for every RAID version since Acronis True Image 9. Upon booting to the boot disc, it will see the array as a single disc. If it doesn't, the array is either corrupt or has not been properly configured/turned on.

Once you have both a boot disc and image file, you can safely reformat the OS and install the image to the same RAID array over and over. You can delete the array and recreate it, as long as you use the same type and the size isn't smaller than the image file. There's no more need to load the drivers separately after reformatting. You can even install to a different motherboard as long as it has the same chipset (ICH7, ICH8, etc.). Boot to the recovery cd, follow the directions, and load the backup image that you created when prompted, whether it be on CD/DVD, or on another hard drive via a network connection, or a USB device. As long as your RAID array is still setup correctly in BIOS, the entire hard drive will be restored the way it was when last backed up. Version 10 is also Vista compatible.

Your systems must be coming with the OS pre-installed, since you didn't have the RAID driver issue until you had to reformat. In this case, create the boot disc and RAID image right away, and you can always restore your system to the state it was in when you bought it without loading RAID drivers separately.

Now, if you build another system with identical hardware, but have not yet loaded the OS, simply create the RAID array, load the recovery disc, load the image when prompted, and presto! You have an identical system. So any nugget that thinks they know differently is wrong. I do this all the time.

You can give your customers a copy of the boot disc and a CD/DVD with the basic operating system, software, and drivers image with each system that you sell them. Its up to them to backup any data or programs that they install after that. However, if they want to spend $49.99USD, they can setup a backup schedule with either incremental or full system backup that can be used to reformat with everything updated. They can even password protect the backup. The only limitation is if you have more software installed than will fit on a DVD. However, by supplying OEM CDs with the software this can easily be remedied.

The reason I brought up a disc image in the first place was because of your delemna with your laptop after the review. Had you made a disc image, you wouldn't have had to reformat and fight with RAID drivers nor reactivate your OS. Try it, you'll like it.

Since our business only services South Australia, I see no reason to post a link to it here. However its easily found if you look at other posts by me on TG forums. It's part of my signature. For whatever reason, the mobile forum doesn't automatically include the same signature, and I can't be bothered with updating it. Our website needs updating, but very little of our business comes from the website so its not a priority. We're a custom computer shop, which means we build to each customer's needs. We carry a very small inventory, as this allows us to always be competitive with current pricing. About the only thing we don't do is main frames. We build notebooks, PCs, repairs, upgrades, deliver, setup, network small business and homes, etc.. We provide Linux, Unix, Linspire (Lindows), and MS support. Our business is not that big, and personalized service is our biggest selling point.

You claimed floppy disks were unreliable. That's the only reason I touched on the subject. They're not. I have kids in the USA and in AU that use floppys daily for transferring homework to and from school. The schools don't allow flash drives nor removable hard drives. Floppy disks are far from obsolete, regardless of what reviewers like to print.

Um.. for the record, all money values are "compared" against each other, including the US dollar. Its just that, a comparison of worth, dollar for dollar, yen for dollar, euro for dollar, etc.. Its called the exchange rate, so people can exchange currencies for whatever country they're in. Seeing as how I travel back and forth 3 times a year, I use it often. No other country in the world has their money "tied" to the US dollar. Life in Australia has been vedy vedy good to me. :)

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
Um.. for the record, all money values are "compared" against each other, including the US dollar. Its just that, a comparison of worth, dollar for dollar, yen for dollar, euro for dollar, etc.. Its called the exchange rate, so people can exchange currencies for whatever country they're in. Seeing as how I travel back and forth 3 times a year, I use it often. No other country in the world has their money "tied" to the US dollar.
Your understanding of many things is cursory.
You understand HOW, but you do not understand WHY.

As of this posting the "values" of the currencies are:
1 AU$ can purchase .768935 US$
1 AU$ can purchase .599631 Euros
If you divide what the AU$ can purchase in US$ by what it can purchase in Euros, you have how many US$ the Euro can purchase.
1 Euro can Purchase 1.28235 US$.

A GBP is a Great British Pound
1 GBP = 1.89455 US$
1 GBP = 2.46386 AU$
Do the same calculation 1.89455 / 2.46386 = .7689357
How many US dollars can one Australian $ buy? Gee, it's the same number!

BECAUSE YOUR FREAKING CURRENCY IS VALUED TO OURS!

No other country in the world has their money "tied" to the US dollar.
EVERY other currency in the world is valued to the US Dollar.

The "exchange rate" isn't just a number they pull out of a hat each day slick, it is how much of ANY currency can be EXCHANGED for a US DOLLAR!

darklife41

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
LMAO @ " The "exchange rate" isn't just a number they pull out of a hat each day slick, it is how much of ANY currency can be EXCHANGED for a US DOLLAR!"

I guess that's just another reason American education is in the toilets these days. Many Americans seem to think the entire world is based on the good 'ole USA.

The exchange rate (or foreign exchange rate) between 2 currencies specifies how much one currency is worth in terms of the other. This applies to every currency in the world, not just the USA nor the USD.

There are 2 types, a fixed exchange rate and a floating exchange rate.

A fixed exchange rate is pegged to the USD. The ratio of a fixed exchange rate moves with the value of the USD. Some European countries and China have had a fixed exchange rate with the US since 1994.

However AU has a floating exchange rate, which is not pegged to the USD and changes constantly. The floating exchange rate is based upon many factors, such as supply and demand, the flow of funds between countries, and the rate of inflation. The value of the USD alone has very little effect on the AUD value.

http://www.ozforex.com.au/reference/factors.htm

Here's some irony for you. If China (since that's the most likely single country to do it) wiped the USA off the face of the earth, but kept their relations as is with AU, IF AU was able to still get all the resources that they had gotten from the USA from China and other countries at the same rate,... Au's economy would not be effected at all. However China's economy would collapse, since they just destroyed the economy that theirs is based upon. Beware if China ever goes back to a floating exchange rate ;-)

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
That is the book definition you just looked up.
It seems that everything you know is based off theory.
In the real world again.. you can trade ANY currency except the US Dollar because it is the benchmark.

Check ANY commodity in the civilized world and it is valued to the US Dollar. As long as your country doesn't need to buy anything... you're set.

Why would China attempt to destroy America? That is stupid talk. I have to stop talking to you now. You are the only person that can argue simple mathematic transitive properties with economic theorys. Since the numbers are too big for you, I will break it down into pictures.

The RAID drivers are indeed installed on the boot disc for every RAID version since Acronis True Image 9. Upon booting to the boot disc, it will see the array as a single disc.
Here is the properly configured RAID array (Windows is installed and will boot, but this is to prove a point here):
raid_array.jpg

Here you can see the selection screen for Acronis True Image Enterprise Server 9.1:
acronis_enterprise.jpg

Here you can see where I have selected Acronis True Image Enterprise Server:
acronis_server_selected.jpg

And here you can see where the FRAKIN' RAID array isn't found!
cant_find_array.jpg

But hey, YOU DO IT ALL THE TIME!
WOW.

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
OMG, you CAN'T be serious.

:arrow: So the mathematics were just a coincidence that it worked on the AU, EURO, UDD and GBP, and every other currency. Oh no, that's right, the world does this complex calculation with super computers every night to value every individual currency.

Now it's something else.
Whatever.

You're right man.

darklife41

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
Well that's directly from their website.

I've never had that problem, so you figure it out since you know everything else.

And you're right, the entire world bases their money value and economy on the mighty USA. Hilarious.

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
I've already tried the Acronis thing with every version of Acronis dude.
The ONLY way to do it is with a PE and an Acronis plug in, but whatever.

I know it is valued to the US Dollar, anyone that trades commodities does. You're living in this la la land of one paragraph answers to complex problems and you eat them up ignorantly. I never understood how some of these theories passed as reality until now.

You simply can not comprehend, even when it is boiled down to a transitive property of mathematics, and I think one of the problems is, you don't know what that is, simply put: A=B, B=C therfore A=C. The calculation WOULDN'T WORK if there were all these complex variables involved like trade defecit, GDP, unemployement, military might, etc. tallied daily by an army of economists and observers and reported to one central world order super computer for currency calculations each night.
And you're right, the entire world bases their money value and economy on the mighty USA. Hilarious
Yes, I know I am. The world was thinking of basing everything off the Pacific Peso there, but then thought, "wait, since the AU$ has only been around 40 years, maybe we should go with something with a little more of a track record." Since you love to learn from web links, let me pose a question to you.
Why would the Reserve Bank of Australia show its official reserve asset tables in AU$ then US$? Table 2 expresses these figures in US dollar terms.

You lack the understanding that when commodoties are valued in US Dollars, you need US Dollars to buy them. Maybe with a little more education you will understand where the real power comes from.
America used economic theory in such a way to secure its position in world trade by getting the oil contract valued to the dollar. If your theory is right, maybe you can tell me something you can buy in the world market with Australian dollars?

Maybe you could tell me why when countries make loans to each other they are not valued in local currency? Would Australia load 1 Trillion AU$ to Iraq valued in Dinar? Heck NO. No one wants that crap. All Iraq has to do is print up more, devalue the currency and "pay back" the loan with cheap money. Iraq doesn't want AU$'s anyway because you can't buy anything with it! You would have to convert the AU$ to US$ before you could buy anything.

The funny thing is, you actually DON'T understand even when it is over-simplified to the point of ridiculousness. Ignorance is bliss.

gpfear

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
Well you have to give Joe User some crappy OS to use. So they get Vista. I currently use it on sundays to watch football and check fantasy stats on dual monitors because I dont have cash laying around for media center. Ok for the home user, definately a bloated OS.

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
Actually, there are some media center add-on's for XP that are pretty good (so you don't need media center itself).

I have a media center PC also, and it is pretty much a pain in the butt. MS was threatening cable card support by this Christmas for MCE, so that should be helpful.

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
MS to cripple pirated VISTA PC's.

Microsoft will cripple PCs running pirated copies of Vista
Posted Oct 4th 2006 2:35PM by Cyrus Farivar
Filed under: Desktops, Laptops

We all thought that Microsoft was asking for trouble when the company announced previously that it would be including all the versions of Windows Vista on a single DVD, setting the stage for those in the know to crack the disc and save themselves some cash by installing Ultimate when they likely bought (ok, probably pirated via BitTorrent) a Vista DVD. Well, Microsoft has fired the first salvo in this war on pirates -- according to The Associated Press, the Redmond crew will be taking "much harsher steps to curtail piracy" than in years past. First, the company will "deny access" to some of the "most anticipated features," including Windows Aero, the new GUI. Then, Vista will start issuing ransom demands (we're not kidding about this part), demanding that a legitimate copy be bought within 30 days, or else. What would such consequences entail? How about limiting Web access to an hour at a time? Further, what about not being able to open documents from the desktop or "run other programs such as Outlook e-mail software" ? However, the article goes on to say: "Microsoft said it won't stop a computer running pirated Vista software from working completely, and it will continue to deliver critical security updates." So for those of you keeping score, Microsoft wants to make using your computer as miserable as possible, while keeping it as "safe" as possible, ok? Now, if we were betting types, we'd guess that the odds are pretty favorable that this anti-piracy measure will be defeated just as fast as PlaysForSure was.

Narg

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2006
Such venom...

but, then again, I understand. You can only transfer Vista licenses to another machine ONCE?!? What kinda bull**** is that? :(

MS backed off that requirements. You can now transfer basically unlimited as long as you do a few things. I forget what those are. But they are allowing the builders community (basically us Tom's reader types) to build a new computer every few months and transfer the OS to the new computer. Search for it and you'll find the details.

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
Yea, it's pretty sweet with XP when you pull a CD out of a modular bay to put in your second hard drive and the "significant hardware change" requires you to reactivate Windows. MS is out of control!

AdamAnt03

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2007
I read with interest the lengthy intro that Barry the Mobility Guru writer penned which seemed to imply that he only had a "loaner" of the Ferrari laptop. I then couldn't help noticing the trouble he went to in order to pick it up from the freight company at a time when he was ill and then his writing what can only be best described as an advertorial for Vista after picking the machine up. I thought it would be interesting to point out and contribute part of the following artice I read recently about bloggers getting free laptops from Microsoft at

http://www.istartedsomething.com/20061227/microsoft-free-ferrari/

I sincerely hope I am just being cynical and can only hope it was a loaner and not a freebie - surely it would be unethical for such a respected site as TomsHardWare or any of its writers to accept it - or at the very least
without disclaiming the fact that the hardware and O/S was a gift from M'soft !!!

"Microsoft hands out Ferrari’s to bloggers
Microsoft together with AMD gave out some timely Christmas presents (which are officially review PCs) to a bunch of bloggers this year. Brandon LeBlanc got one, Scott Beale got one, Mauricio Freitas got one, Mitch Denny got one, Zen.Heavengames got one, Barb Bowman got a media center, plus many other bloggers who has yet to receive it during the Christmas rush. They seem to have covered everyone from A-list to Z-list, a first in the industry with such a valuable gift, kudos for thinking about the little guys.

Some people got Ferrari 1000s, others got 5000s (Some got Media Centers even). The following specs are from the Ferrari 5000.

The machine looks just as good as it specs. As part of Acer’s Ferrari designer computing range, the carbon-fiber case is styled with a slick threaded finish with genuine Ferrari badging and color strips. Just like the racing counterpart, this machine has grunt. It sports an AMD Turion 64 X2 dual-core 2ghz CPU, 2GB of DDR2-667 RAM, AMD-ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 on a 15.4″ widescreen. It also has a 160GB SATA drive, HD-DVD reader and burner as well as a 1.3mp camera. Full specifications available at the Acer website.

Assuming it doesn’t use Sony batteries, this laptop blows everything out of the water. It retails for a hot $2,299. But if you write about Microsoft, they might even give you one for free. Is it ethical? Probably not. Is it worth something to hard-working sweat and tears bloggers? Hell yeah."

redneckonline

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
Vista sucks donkey dick, don't buy it! I am so disappointed. I had winXP home and I thought it was way better. Paint worked way better for editing and uploading photos to internet discussions, and I liked how I could open up files and look at all the files in folders by looking at file thumbnails. Windows sound recorder worked better on XP too, you could open and edit files. Not any more with Vistard.

smodanwal022

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013