Wireless Backup Scheme

Johnny von neumann

Estimable
Oct 12, 2014
I am trying to work on a wireless backup scheme (yes it is technically my new years resolution).
I want a way to backup my data to another computer encrypted (before it leaves). I am not exactly sure how to do this. I do not have bitlocker and I am hoping to do this for as little money as possible.

I have a linux machine in another room that I was thinking I could add to active directory with Samba. Then I could mount it as a network drive and use Free File Sync to sync the important bits of my windows computer. Then I might add the possibility of a third backup to the cloud.

I want the data to be encrypted before it is copied to the linux networked computer. I am already probably going to encrypt my computer with Truecrypt (still have the most recent copy, and am thinking it is still safe, but a better free alternative is welcome). Would I have to encrypt the folders I wanted backed up before copying them? Thanks!

Solution
and I don't have control over the router I'm on
Well...that brings a whole other level into the situation.

WPA2 is 'crackable', but it is NOT a trivial function.
If this is all within your residence, and you are that concerned....a wired connection to the Linux box is the only way to go. No matter how funky the wiring looks.

USAFRet

Illustrious
The main problem with your concept is that you will be backing up the entire set of files, every time.
FFS will see that encrypted volume as a single file, and copy the whole thing over when changed. Instead of only the couple of actual files you changed.

ex: 100GB of files, 100 individual files. Edit 2 of them, FFS just copies over those two files. 2GB.
Encrypted, and it must do the whole 100GB every time. It cannot do only the changed portion.

Johnny von neumann

Estimable
Oct 12, 2014
That is a good point, could I possibly have a batch file of some sort encrypt each file separately? I know that I would have to individually enter credentials, but I could set up a master password to unlock an automation script that enters it each time. Thanks for the quick reply by the way. I know this may be somewhat slow, but I am running decent hardware (and will probably install an ssd soon), so it cannot be that bad, right? If not, I guess I could use a web based encryption protocol to send it p2p. I don't really know what this would be though...

Johnny von neumann

Estimable
Oct 12, 2014

Mostly because if someone were sniffing my wifi, they could pick up the data there, rendering the encrypton on the linux box pointless...

I guess I will find/write some program to do this. I will try to update the thread with info about what I find.

USAFRet

Illustrious

If someone is sniffing your WiFi, you have other, larger issues.
WPA2.

Johnny von neumann

Estimable
Oct 12, 2014
I am very into my privacy...

Also WPA/WPA2 can be cracked using wireless-ng or other tools, and I don't have control over the router I'm on anyway, so I don't know how secure it is.

According to what I have read:
SFTP is end to end encrypted and uses AES-256, which is very difficult to break.

At least, that is what I have read.

USAFRet

Illustrious
and I don't have control over the router I'm on
Well...that brings a whole other level into the situation.

WPA2 is 'crackable', but it is NOT a trivial function.
If this is all within your residence, and you are that concerned....a wired connection to the Linux box is the only way to go. No matter how funky the wiring looks.

Solution