Wireless switch broken

chinightness

Honorable
May 28, 2013
The external wireless switch on my 2007 windows vista laptop wont work. I try to turn it on and off but it just says that it is off. It was working just a few days ago. Any ideas what the problem could be? Are there any other ways I could turn on my wireless? Any help is appreciated!!!

SchizTech

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
Can you be more precise? I'm taking this to mean you can move the switch physically but the wifi won't work. We can do some troubleshooting to see if the problem is the switch.

Go to the device manager (Right-click Computer > Properties > Device Manager). Under "Network Adapters" do you see a wireless card? (there should be two listings: one for the wired port and one for the wifi)? If so, are there any errors (noted by a yellow exclamation point next to the device listing? If so, what is the error message? (Right-click the wireless device and select Properties).

Also, try to reboot in "safe mode with networking". Reboot, and when the laptop restarts hit the F8 key repeatedly until you get this menu:

http://www.fakealerts.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/WindowsVista_AdvancedBootOptions.jpg

and select "Safe Mode with Networking." If the wireless works here but not in normal mode you may be infected with malware of some sort.

chinightness

Honorable
May 28, 2013
I can move the switch back and forth but the wireless won't turn on when it always has in the past. I tried all of the things that you suggested but it doesn't show any errors or problems. I think the issue is with the switch. Is there any way I can bypass that or fix it without having to take it to someone?