With Xbox One, Microsoft Policy on Indies Remain Unchanged: No Self-Publishing

Status
Not open for further replies.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
I hope theyre aware of all the money they are going to lose because of this decision. the indie game market is a rapidly growing market. and if they keep catering to publishers egos, then theyll innevitably push away the indie devs that dont like publishers business(which is most of them apparently). when that hurricane of ps4/wiiu exclusives come out, microsoft is going to not make alot of money.
a "real" indie game has no publisher financing, hence the term "indie game". if indie devs invest so much time and money making a game, why should they have to go through one of microsofts buddies in order to sell the game AND lose potential profit. theyll just look over in the area of the PS4 and theyre self publishing model and decide its the easier, and profitable path.

GIJoeMyGoodness

Honorable
May 21, 2013
Is Microsoft trying to get everyone to stop using their stuff? First Windows 8, then Office 2013, and now this? I hope it's successful because I am a long time Xbox fan (over 10 years on Live). The problem is I feel like everything I loved about Microsoft keeps getting taking away as they add all this other stuff I don't want. What will be left to resort to? I'm certainly not siding with Apple or Sony.

SirGCal

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
Another reason to not get the new 'Box... One thing I've loved on Steam lately are the Indie titles. Godness there are a lot of great products coming out and they are very nicely priced and darn good fun and DIFFERENT instead of the same old crap that (cough) EA (cough) puts out...

Pherule

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
So all we need is for Sony to allow self publishing on the PS4, and in one swift move they completely wipe the floor with Microsoft.

Vorador2

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2007
They're indie because they don't have a publisher. Catch 22.
Sony sends a heartfelt thanks to Microsoft for sending all those indie developers towards them.

Ryan Galdes

Honorable
May 26, 2013
"I would also expect that for this new generation, that we're going to continue to explore new business models and new ways of surfacing content. But Microsoft Studios is a publisher that works with a wide range of partners, as do a lot of other people, to bring digital content to the box."
In other words " We are looking at new business models to rape the game industry of a few more $$$ while simultaniously draining developers love for creating games and ripping their wallets off." Microsoft are the Apple of consoles...

bowzef

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2010
this is a good thing, microsoft needs good smack in the head, they just as bad as EA and honestly PS4 is better in all ways, and this is coming from a PC gamer

Status
Not open for further replies.