Without Mavericks, Mac Users May Lose Security Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

guvnaguy

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
Hilarious how Apple products are supposedly meant to last a long time, yet they don't provide OS support for the lifetime of the device if it can't run a newer version.

Even though Microsoft will stop XP support next year, you can easily upgrade a 2007 or 2008 laptop (probably even older if the driver support is there) to Windows 7 or 8

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Hilarious how Apple products are supposedly meant to last a long time, yet they don't provide OS support for the lifetime of the device if it can't run a newer version.

(Disclaimer for those who doesn't know: I'm a hardcore Apple hater.) You know what? This totally makes sense. It's ANNOYING to provide updates for hell knows how many versions of the software on different versions of the same OS. I have a co-worker who has a 2008 or so MBP 17'' and he upgraded to Mavericks for free, which obviously gets him all the new updates etc. I don't see what's here to complain about!

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
^ it IS annoying to have to provide updates for older OS versions, but at the same time it is not the customer's fault if software manufacturers don't have versions that are compatible with the latest OS, because when they bought their hardware the OS was the latest and greatest at the time.
The last few paragraphs delineate exactly why this approach is wrong. There is a lot to complain about (even though maybe I should say it serves them well for buying an Apple thingy in the first place, LOL).

blppt

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
"I don't see what's here to complain about!"

Macs that have the old Core Duo/Solo chips simply CANNOT upgrade to Mavericks---it requires an x64 processor.

CrArC

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
@blppt: good point. Those are very old machines now, though. I'm bit disappointed to hear old Core Duo/Solo kits are left in the dust, similarly the whole PPC > x86 transition was painful for many, but they can't support them forever. On many of those old machines (like the old Mac Minis) you can swap the processors with x86-64 upgrades.

But in terms of software/OS longevity of support, I am if anything pleased that Apple are quite firm about not supporting ancient operating systems for years on end. I am not at all sympathetic to stubborn users/companies, or those who rely on 3rd-party software or hardware from manufacturers who appear to be unreliable. I can't see how either of those circumstances are Apple's responsibility.

therealduckofdeath

Honorable
May 10, 2012
CrArC

It is not that long ago you could buy a Mac with a Core2Duo processor. 3-4 years is a way too short expected lifetime. Especially considering the premium price you are asked to pay for that PC if it is a Mac. This is really horrible customer service.

jankeke

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011
They are basically saying :
"Buy our stuff every year at the price we tell you to and shut the hell up".

If I was told that, I would advice them to go somewhere and do unspeakable things to themselves.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
amk-aka-phantom - I agree it is annoying, it is such a shame that Apple are being put to such inconvenience by their customers to expect software support for an OS that is older than a month - really????

blppt

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
"It is not that long ago you could buy a Mac with a Core2Duo processor. 3-4 years is a way too short expected lifetime. "

Its worth noting that all Core 2 Duos were x64. I'm referring to the original Yonah Core Duo/Solos.

bryonhowley

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011
Personally that is the way it should be. When a new OS comes out support for the previous OS should stop period. It should be that for Windows as well as OS X. When Windows 8 came out support for Windows 7 should stop move up or be left behind.

Fredrik Aldhagen

Honorable
Jul 16, 2013
Here's my opinion:

- Ending support for 32-bit CPUs... Totally fine. To my knowledge it was only the very first Intel Macs used 32-bit CPUs, everything after that used 64-bit CPUs.
- Ditching support for ALL previous versions, 2 weeks after latest release. Bad move, give people some time to transition.
- Putting out a detailed list of UNFIXED security flaws in their previous operating system. Ok, reallly bad move...

blppt

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
"- Ending support for 32-bit CPUs... Totally fine. To my knowledge it was only the very first Intel Macs used 32-bit CPUs, everything after that used 64-bit CPUs"

Its not only the 32bit cpu models, as per Apple's site, these are the only macs that can upgrade to Mavericks:

iMac (Mid-2007 or later)
MacBook (13-inch Aluminum, Late 2008), (13-inch, Early 2009 or later)
MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid-2009 or later),
MacBook Pro (15-inch or 17-inch, Mid/Late 2007 or later)
MacBook Air (Late 2008 or later)
Mac Mini (Early 2009 or later)
Mac Pro (Early 2008 or later)
Xserve (Early 2009)

For example, there is a generation of Mac Pros (2006-2007 models with Xeon 64 bit cpus) that cannot upgrade apparently.

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
Once you pay full price for a new Apple, you'll learn within the first 4 years to never do it again. Apple is Apple's own worst enemy. They are their own XP of Microsoft

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
dislike the comment all you want. When you pay 4,000 for a "top of the line" piece of hardware, you expect it to last more than 3 - 4 years before Apple craps in your throat and calls you lucky.

Fredrik Aldhagen

Honorable
Jul 16, 2013
blppt: Yes, it appears that despite switching to 64-bit CPUs, Apple for some reason still continued using 32-bit EFI for a while. :S

This makes me more convinced that Apple should have just skipped 32-bit x86 CPUs altogether and jumped straight to x86-64.

blppt

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
"This makes me more convinced that Apple should have just skipped 32-bit x86 CPUs altogether and jumped straight to x86-64."

I'll take that one further---I wish they hadn't gone to x86 at all. There was always something special about a Mac back in the day, having the Motorola/IBM CPU was something exotic, but nowadays, its just a PC running a *nix variant.

Status
Not open for further replies.