wndows 10 blocking wifi card will not allow it to turn on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RepellsTech

Estimable
Feb 10, 2014
I have an hp notebook that originally had windows 8.1 and worked fine but after the windows 10 free upgrade the computer says wifi 2 turned off and will not let me turn it back on via settings or device configuration or uninstalling and reinstalling the device. I have reset the registry and tried the command prompt manual type in key on google which said that the registry did not exist in the system rather than stopping it. It is a realtek rtl8188ee 802.11 bgn wifi adapter card. and I have tried reinstalling both manually and via drivertoolkit. to no avail. I tried installing updates for windows and of course the ones i need won't install. Please help.

oh the computer also doesn't have a wifi toggle switch or button on the keyboard. and I have gone into settings and removed the windows permissions to disable this device to save power which I think is weird that it even has access to disable it in the first place.

RepellsTech

Estimable
Feb 10, 2014
I fixed it myself.
If you have this problem check to see if your developer (hp, compaq, ect.) has released an updated bios if so then download it to a flash drive and install it via the installer on the broken computer.

option 2 if you have an ethernet cord plug your computer directly into the modem and install it from the manufactuer website.

if you have an hp go to www.hp.com and enter the model number off the sticker on the bottom of your laptop (or front or back of your desktop) and it should redirect to drivers and downloads. It will ask you if you want to download the hp dowlnoad client i recommend doing this then that will tell you to restart so do it then go back to the website and scroll down on the drivers and downloads page to bios it should say bios framework then a date if this is more current than what is on your computer (hp support center will show you your current bios version date) then download this and install it. The update will automatically restart windows to update the bios and when it is done it will restart your computer note that after the hp logo screen if your screen stays black for more than 1 minute that you must hold down the power button until the system turns off and then turn it back on and it should work, however the restart option from the power options menu will not work properly anymore using the restart option will (until someone else figures out how to solve this issue) always result in a black screen after the hp logo screen. its trading one problem for another but at least this one is tolerable.

if hp support center says that things need to be updated do not do them as they may put you back in the same boat so do at your own risk. if you do them and your computer still works fine including internet let me know then i'll do them on mine, but i just spent a whole day on this am not risking this to become a guinea pig.

Status
Not open for further replies.