Woman Must Pay $1.5 Million for Sharing MP3s

Status
Not open for further replies.

hihiman1

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
What? She could have paid only $25,000 but she refused? Maybe she didn't think she should have been fined at all, but even so, she should've taken 25k over 1500k.

hihiman1

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]The solution: stop pirating and stop buying... and watch RIAA / MPAA squirm.[/citation]

Ya but people want their music, they should just use free listening services like groovshark or pandora

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]hihiman1[/nom]Ya but people want their music, they should just use free listening services like groovshark or pandora[/citation]

I meant just for a while, a worldwide 30 day boycott of RIAA / MPAA affiliated content, just to get their attention.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
Why sue a person for that much if you know theyre not going to pay. Id just make him go to jail...

And how the hell, are you happy with a 1.5mil ruling, but also be satisfied with 25k.

K2N hater

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]I meant just for a while, a worldwide 30 day boycott of RIAA / MPAA affiliated content, just to get their attention.[/citation]
Impossible. We can't fight mass propaganda through radio/TV or 50% sales.

jadelith

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
just use internet radio to record songs. the music industry doesn't get a single dime, it isn't illegal, and (the best part) the vultures at RIAA will squirm in agony as they can't ruin other people's lives anymore.

norune

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2010
Well, it just shows what they are thinking, they are obviously not out after her cash but to Scare people from downloading anything. What's rather incredulous is that the Jury accepts this garbage time over time, I mean honestly this woman has probably inflicted less damage on the companies than the average Filesharer...

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
[citation][nom]bustapr[/nom]......And how the hell, are you happy with a 1.5mil ruling, but also be satisfied with 25k.[/citation]
Because it's all a game. It's about making the RIAA's lawyers feel like they've accomplished something, and that by extension, the RIAA is necessary and useful.
Would any musician even see a dime of this money?

kettu

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
What a lottery... First 222k, then 1.9M, down to 54k and back up to 1.5M. This sort of inconsistency doesn't help much with any trust issues with the legal system, especially if you're fighting a multi-billion dollar industry.

bunz_of_steel

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2008
Don't buy no stinking music do it on the web like u guys said. I haven't bought music in years and with the MAFRHIAA constantly walking around with a boner I don't plan to buy any music in the foreseeable future, it's my lil personaly grudge match against them weenies.

jfby

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2010
Regardless of the action, the lawsuits seeking monstrous damages are obscene. Did she share each of the 24 songs an average 62,500 times?

Anyone with the ability to pay a $1.5 million dollar fine wouldn't pirate the songs.

A more fitting punishment, maybe $10,000, would be a reasonable fine and probation.

khanny

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2010
I do like how the title of this article is "Woman Must Pay $1.5 Million for /Sharing/ MP3s." Should read "Woman Must Pay $1.5 Million for /Stealing/ MP3s."

Secondary title: "Do You Think She Still Loves Music?" I would question if that woman EVER loved music. The simple fact of the matter is when you steal MP3s, you're hurting the artist MUCH more than some exec, or whatever justification people use when they decide bootlegging MP3s is somehow ethically okay. It's absolute crap that people can somehow find "moral" arguments that they grapple onto like leeches as they steal thousands of songs. (@ekulz: it looks like she stole some 62,500 songs)

At the end of the day, you're hurting an entire industry that is trying to entertain you. Your carte blanche willingness to steal their product is not only disrespectful, but its illegal.

With all that being said, 1.5 million is excessive... I imagine its in large part due to the attorney's fees that she will have to recoup to Capital.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]I meant just for a while, a worldwide 30 day boycott of RIAA / MPAA affiliated content, just to get their attention.[/citation]

kazaa was free...

mrmez

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
Piracy is wrong and should be punished. However, even the RIAA calles it "MISCONDUCT", and is happy to accept $25,000.

Frak me sideways. 25k for misconduct, i wonder how much you get for a real crime?

Status
Not open for further replies.