Woman Steals SIM Card, Spends $193,000

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oneblackened

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
[citation][nom]tacoslave[/nom]It was obviously used to take out the combine.[/citation]
Oh good, I wasn't the only one who thought of that.

G

It's Aussieland. Internet bandwidth is super expensive there. Prolly cuz they have to tunnel to China to connect to their cables for connectivity :)

Seriously though, their internet bandwidth is stupidly expensive and slow.

happyballz

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011
How the fuc% do even you charge someone almost $200K for broadband!? HELLOOO Telecom company!!!/??? If you see the customer using anything over $100 bux maybe you should have a filter and call them to verify that everything is OK? I am just purely disgusted with stories like this. Must have been "cream of the crop/Ultra premium/tripple filtered" bandwidth made out of unobtanium. NOT!

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
You'll never find the Free Man. He has been taken from us. By the one they all work for. The one with the suit and tie.

Clearly we see this in the Vortessence.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Reminds me of when I was a teenager and my parent's dialup connection changed from unlimited to 1GB/month without being notified by the provider. We had a dedicated phone line so our internet was on 24/7 and this was back in the kazaa / early bittorent days. So of course I downloaded somewhere around 15GB and we got a bill for ~$1500. We basically just told them to piss off and only paid our regular fee. On the plus side this made my parents see the light and sign up for cable internet.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
Hmm.. I just had a smartmeter installed (I'm in Ontario). I thought it used that ethernet over electrical wires tech... If it uses cellular, I think I should have been informed! Cancer causing crap!

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
If you charge typically say $500/month on various things on your Credit card and out of a sudden it jumps up to 10s of thousand VISA etc will block the card and contact you to check if something funny is going on. That's common sense and the 'vendor' of the 193k should have never allowed to process the orders. Than again, my T-Mobile cell costs $50/month and TWICE I got charged -autopay!!- $5,000 because their computer misplaced the decimal point !
Neither T-Mobile nor my bank saw anything unusual about a jump from a $50 to $5,000 cell phone bill and processed the autopay. Go figure :)

Status
Not open for further replies.