Wondering if this Laptop would be sufficient for Rhino 3-D rendering?

polimangas

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
HP Pavilion dv7t Quad Edition Notebook PC

•Genuine Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
•Intel Core i7-720QM Processor (1.6GHz, 6MB L2 Cache, 1333MHz FSB)
•4GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
•320GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
•1GB Nvidia GeForce GT 230M
•17.3" diagonal HD+ High-Definition HP LED BrightView Widescreen Display (1600 x 900)
•Extra 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery

It will be running Rhino 3D 4.0 SR5.5b... w/T-Splines and V-Ray plugins

What are other laptop recommendations???

If you are are a 3D Modeler, please post what you are currently using for your laptop/desktop solution and your thoughts on what is good and bad about it.

Thanks in advance for your time and input!

polimangas

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
There has to be others out there with an opinion... Don't be shy... Please tell me what you are currently using for your laptop/desktop solution and if your not 100% happy with it, what would you change to make it better.

Your opinions are highly appreciated.

G

the dvt7 is consumer grade.. the graphics card is more for gaming...screen is so-so.... plastic flimsy body... cheaper then the "mobile workstations" but you get what you pay for

if you going the route of HP... look into their elitebook line....the 8730w with the quadro cards... way better choice for openGL---3ds max...rhino...maya etc...

dell has a hefty mobile workstation they released a few months ago.... Hp set to release a new 17 inch one soon (itll be the 8740w)... probably a little lighter and cheaper... im personally holding out till hp releases theirs to compare before i make such a large purchase (i use revit, autocad, 3ds max)... should have i7--1333 ddr3--quadro 2800/3800--1920x1200 rgb screen---SSDs

search for elitebook 8740w.... lots of anticipation for it... should be out soon...