Solved! Word Perfect with 4K

Solution
ah, so you're afraid it will explode and be all big and not scale to give more viewing space within the software.

in that case, you can mess with the high DPI settings in the properties of the program if it doesn't scale well.

Since you are asking about this, I assume you don't already own this software and are looking to buy it.

If this is the case, might I recommend first trying out Libre Office. It's an open source alternative to Microsoft Office and other office suites that's completely free.

Give it a whirl and see if it'll suite your needs before paying money for some software.

Also, why this Word Perfect stuff I've never heard of and not Microsoft's very own Microsoft Office suite?

here's a link to Libre Office...

xSimply1337x

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014
ah, so you're afraid it will explode and be all big and not scale to give more viewing space within the software.

in that case, you can mess with the high DPI settings in the properties of the program if it doesn't scale well.

Since you are asking about this, I assume you don't already own this software and are looking to buy it.

If this is the case, might I recommend first trying out Libre Office. It's an open source alternative to Microsoft Office and other office suites that's completely free.

Give it a whirl and see if it'll suite your needs before paying money for some software.

Also, why this Word Perfect stuff I've never heard of and not Microsoft's very own Microsoft Office suite?

here's a link to Libre Office.
https://www.libreoffice.org/

(P.S.- Libre Office supports nearly ALL office program file types across the board. Should be no problems with compatibility.)

Solution

aviwil33

Distinguished
May 13, 2010
Thanks xSimply1337x . Yes MicroSoft Office does support 4K .
WordPerfect a pretty well known program , and have a whole setup for years with it .
Not sure Libre supports 4K either , but even so , changing over would be a hassle .

xSimply1337x

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014
Not really. If you don't already have this Microsoft Office or Word Perfect, then trying out Libre Office is easy.
Since it supports all the files and formatting of other office suites, you simply need to open whatever office program files you have with the appropriate program from Libre. Do your edits, then save as the same file type. Then take that file and open it with these other programs. Simple as that.

So if it's software that you use on a computer at work or school, you can just use Libre at home and the file types will not be a problem when it comes to moving back and forth since it'll be the exact same file type.

And Libre is part of Mozilla (you know, the guys who make Firefox and have made other great free open source software in the past?) so you know it's well maintained and good to go.

I use Libre and have been for years and haven't had a single issue with files going back and forth between Libre and Microsoft office programs.

And I currently have a 1440 display and it scales fine for me. So I would assume it scales on 4K just fine.
But like I said, if you have any troubles, you can always manually set the scaling in settings for each program you use.

aviwil33

Distinguished
May 13, 2010
Thanks xSimply1337x .
"you can always manually set the scaling in settings for each program you use." - if the program supports that for a 4K display on Win 10 .

xSimply1337x

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014
Ok. So I just went into my nvidia control panel and used DSR to up my resolution to 4K to simulate this.

It seemed fine to me initially like it was scaling on it's own with windows to maintain the overall size of the program.

But to of course make it shrink some elements of the UI in Libre Calc (spreadsheet) and overall make it so I had more room to work with, I simply had to flip a toggle in windows settings for scaling to let windows automatically apply scaling to programs that may be blurry. And it works just fine and looks good from my perspective.

You'll get a popup asking you to open settings to change this if windows detects that an application isn't scaling properly.

Since the software is free, I would suggest you just download it and try out spreadsheet and other programs within and see if it works for you or not. Since it's free, no money is spent trying it out. Just a little bit of your time.

Worst case scenario it doesn't work for you and you just uninstall it.

But from my simulated testing, it seemed to work just fine.

xSimply1337x

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014
as for whether or not WordPerfect has issues at 4K even with messing with scaling options in windows settings, I can't tell you. Something you may be able to find an answer to in some forum somewhere, or you could contact the creators of WordPerfect themselves asking them for an answer to this.

Or if you have access to getting Microsoft Office then just do that I guess.

But for me Libre seemed to work just fine.

aviwil33

Distinguished
May 13, 2010
Thanks xSimply1337x for all your replies .
I do not yet have the 4K screen - am considering buying it .
Have tried contacting Corel for WordPerfect - awaiting a reply .
If I end up getting the 4K screen , I may then try the Libre , per your instructions .