lyko

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2011
Hello,

I need a new laptop for work with following requirements:
Budget $800 canadian
Ability to connect two monitors
1920x1080
Ability to play games such as Diablo 3, PoE, and other non High End games, maybe some mmo's in the future.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Solution
the thing with a work computer is that unless you're doing game dev or testing, you need to skew towards CPU power and RAM and drive capacity. The GPU is secondary. If work is paying for it and you're compromising work capability for gaming capability, they won't be happy.

You also make money with that work computer so you really should be sticking to companies with good warranties and readily available parts like the tier 1 guys like Dell, HP, and Lenovo. On an C$800 budget, it's probably going to be tough to get gaming performance in there...

bliq

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
the thing with a work computer is that unless you're doing game dev or testing, you need to skew towards CPU power and RAM and drive capacity. The GPU is secondary. If work is paying for it and you're compromising work capability for gaming capability, they won't be happy.

You also make money with that work computer so you really should be sticking to companies with good warranties and readily available parts like the tier 1 guys like Dell, HP, and Lenovo. On an C$800 budget, it's probably going to be tough to get gaming performance in there...

Solution

lyko

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2011
I completely agree.

But at the same time, it doesn't cost me anything to do some research if there may be some models available that are sufficient for work and provide some good performance for gaming. Especially since the games in question are not big an requirements.

I was thinking of Thinkpads, but they are quite a bit over my budget.