Work laptop <= $700

dgalt11

Commendable
Apr 4, 2016
Friend asked for some help finding a laptop, but it's been a while since I actually had to buy one myself so I could use some input.

This is basically for work, no gaming need or anything like that - primarily will be used for data analysis and writing (so basically MS Office suite). Emphasis should be on portability and battery longevity.

No need to waste money on expensive screens, 1920 x 1080 will do. Nor is there any need for a touchscreen. Looking for something in the 13-15.6" range would be best.

Would like to give her both SSD and HDD options. I'm figuring with this price point will have to shoot for models from a yr or so ago. Shooting for an i5, 8gig RAM minimum.

Not much else was specified, as again this is just for general work use. She said no more than $700, although I'm not sure how firm that is so anything around that price point (even if it's a bit over) is fine.

Been looking at Thinkpads mainly so far, but really not sure where to start as so many of the portable ones have features that aren't really necessary.

Solution
Go with a x260 from lenovo, thinkpads are the best bang for your buck in office situations. You can pick what you want when you hit the select button and can configure the screen and battery and what not. I highly recommend the x260 or t460.

Purpletalon55

Respectable
Apr 2, 2016
Go with a x260 from lenovo, thinkpads are the best bang for your buck in office situations. You can pick what you want when you hit the select button and can configure the screen and battery and what not. I highly recommend the x260 or t460.

Solution