World of Warcraft Movie Lands "Source Code" Director

Status
Not open for further replies.

Memnarchon

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
I think this movie is 5 years late. At the moment, all the hype is lost, and probably when the movie will be ready, people will play "Titan"...

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]Memnarchon[/nom]I think this movie is 5 years late. At the moment, all the hype is lost, and probably when the movie will be ready, people will play "Titan"...[/citation]
That's a good point, they may very well have missed the boat. I believe some good games CAN translate into good movies, but I don't think this one will turn out all that spectacular.

I think Deus Ex: HR is an example of a game with the raw potential to be a great movie, but I fear that the Hollywood version will be weak on story. I'm afraid they will focus on the action, and will fail to fully exploit the dark and gritty world, the puppetmasters, and explore what it means to be human, a monster, and everything in between.

On the other hand maybe they'll prove me wrong and it'll be the next Bladerunner. One can only hope.

balister

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2006
If Metzen has any involvement in the writing, it will be a huge flop. Look no further than the storylines, and how they've been ruined, for Diablo, StarCraft, and WarCraft since Cataclysm.

GabZDK

Honorable
Aug 12, 2012
What?? GTFO, I want my Starcraft II movie, (Watch the Heart of The Swarm intro if you disagree)

Well, I wouldn't be bad to have both, but I want my SCII film!!

tarzan2001

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009
[citation][nom]Memnarchon[/nom]I think this movie is 5 years late. At the moment, all the hype is lost, and probably when the movie will be ready, people will play "Titan"...[/citation]
This might end up being true, although if you consider Blizzard's track record when it comes to how long they take to release a game, "Titan" still might not be out by 2015. And even if it is nearing completion, I doubt they will release it before this movie comes out so that its box office revenue isn't hurt.

Marcus52

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
I predict that by 2015 World of Warcraft will have lost another 5 million subscribers. Most of them are going to be disgruntled former players that won't go see the movie.

It's waaay too long to take to release a movie that most of us WoW players was expecting to have happened by now. We knew the process was under way by 2007, and I think most of us thought 2012 was a reasonable year to expect the movie. 2015? Not only will that be 4 years after my subscriptions has ended for WoW, it'll be 4 years after I've played any MMOG in a genre that has soured for me to it.

Adam Sessler is right; movies taken from pretty much any other source tends to be bad, or at least far removed from the source, and movies made form games are the worst of the bunch, overall. The only reason these people want to make this one is because they think it's going to be a cash cow -

I implore you not to give them your money for what is going to be insipid movie trash!

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
Granted movies made from video games have had a bad reputation...

But how many video games have had as much lore and back story as the Warcraft franchise? There's plenty of literature to pull from for this movie, it really shouldn't be any different than making a movie from a book series.

Its not like making a movie from a game like doom for instance, where there simply is no story.

unionoob

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2011
[citation][nom]invlem[/nom]Granted movies made from video games have had a bad reputation...But how many video games have had as much lore and back story as the Warcraft franchise? There's plenty of literature to pull from for this movie, it really shouldn't be any different than making a movie from a book series.Its not like making a movie from a game like doom for instance, where there simply is no story.[/citation]

It's not just video game movies, but movies which are made after books, tend to be pretty terrible.
Only way movie could work out if Blizzard will keep it's grip on project, and if something goes wrong they either fix it or even cancel.

G

They can simply make it Kung Fu Pandaria: Azerothian Gigolo. It would sell like hotcakes!

lpedraja2002

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
I'm all for a Wow, if done like Avatar or all animated like Blizzard cutscenes. Duncan Jones is a great director imo, Moon and Source Code were excellent movies but I would rather have a director with more experience in the mater.

unoriginal1

Honorable
Apr 11, 2012
[citation][nom]lpedraja2002[/nom]I'm all for a Wow, if done like Avatar or all animated like Blizzard cutscenes. Duncan Jones is a great director imo, Moon and Source Code were excellent movies but I would rather have a director with more experience in the mater.[/citation]
Blizzard cut scenes are awesome (imo). I don't know why there's so much negativity I think this has the chance of being an great movie. Looking forward to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.