World's Most Intelligent Keyboard now Shipping

Status
Not open for further replies.

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]el33t[/nom]No thanks. I'm very much comfortable with my 5$ keyboard.[/citation]
But the other people on teh interwebs are gonna laugh at you!

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
Ha hah ha! I laugh at your $5 keyboard, poor person!1
Eh hem... I mean, whatever suits you. I'm interested to learn what the sales are going to be for this keyboard. High, because hospitals will buy them for frequent patient use? Or low, because the patients at the hospital won't care to spend $150 on a keyboard they aren't going to use? (We all know you only need two thumbs to type on your smartphone(or 2 fingers(or one finger with that swype feature))). :D

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I've been using a $5 walmart keyboard ever since I spilled beer on my last $100 one. I just can't justify spending that kind of money on something that I drink around frequently and is easily destroyed by said drink. I mean I COULD quit drinking (and my COD 4 kill/death ratio would surely improve), but I'd rather use a crappy keyboard.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Anyone else notice this keyboard isn't very smart? Each key only knows 2 things, On and Off. That isn't very intelligent. Now the Optimus is a smart keyboard. Each key has its own memory chip and can be an Browser Quick Launch button, or a Forward Button, or whatever I want with icon included. Thats a smart keyboard.

Anomalyx

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
Any touch-typer will tell you that muscle memory is absolutely vital to typing speed, and also that the most subtle change can throw you off. I can type far faster on my own keyboard than my friends' keyboards, because I'm more used to the feel of mine. The keys may be in the same shape and position, but there are more variables than just that (key texture, sound, pressure, wobble).
My point is that any keyboard that regularly shifts any part of itself around would ultimately bug the crap out of me. Human muscle memory is quite suited to adapt. Having two things trying to adapt to each other makes it all a moving target problem.

I'm sure there's someone out there with wrist pain that this will be wonderful for, though. But personally I'd rather spend $5 on a keyboard that doesn't move than even $5 on one that does.

razzb3d

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
[citation][nom]falchard[/nom]Anyone else notice this keyboard isn't very smart? Each key only knows 2 things, On and Off. That isn't very intelligent. Now the Optimus is a smart keyboard. Each key has its own memory chip and can be an Browser Quick Launch button, or a Forward Button, or whatever I want with icon included. Thats a smart keyboard.[/citation]

All features that I find useless.

I agree with not buying expensive keyboards, because I myself destroyed plenty of them by spilling or taking them apart for cleaning (both doable on a standard 5$ keyboard).

I'd love a device that moves itself around according to my hand's position so I won't have to move it myself, that would be comfortable. When I type for extended periods of time, I noticed that i move my keyboard around A LOT. So much so that I managed to damage the finish on my desk. This device might be interesting to test-drive.

razzb3d

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
Also I FKING HATE these new slim-key keyboards. The feel like shart. I like BIG KEYS with MODERATE TRAVEL that don't wobble and a decent amount of space between them. I can barely type on my new laptop without pressing 2 keys at once.

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
If you're OK with foregoing the motorization, the Microsoft Natural series of keyboards will do the same thing for less than $10. Hell, you can probably find someone trying to get rid of one at a garage sale for under a buck.

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
[citation][nom]razzb3d[/nom]Also I FKING HATE these new slim-key keyboards. The feel like shart. I like BIG KEYS with MODERATE TRAVEL that don't wobble and a decent amount of space between them. I can barely type on my new laptop without pressing 2 keys at once.[/citation]
You probably want a Das Keyboard, a famous example of mechanical key switch keyboards made in the modern day. That or slim down those fingers with some finger-ups and finger-curls. 30 minutes a day is all it takes to build a better you!

Status
Not open for further replies.