Would 5G wifi dongle fix my smart tv?

rronald_25

Honorable
Apr 16, 2013
So I got a smart tv for free (ex-exhibition).
It says it has a miracast & of course smart tv.

The problem is, it can only connect to the 2.4G wifi, where my router is dualband, but for some reason the 2.4G is not good and very slow, moreover, the router is in the other room, so using lan cable is not an option.

Would buying a A/C wifi dongle and plug it on my Tv fix the problem?
And how about when I have to install the wifi dongle driver (tbh I dont know if it needs a driver, but just in case).
Thanx

Unless the TV built-in is somehow faulty.

How many bars are you getting on your smartphone at this location?

Not all TV's USB port can plug in a WIFI dongle, must check manual, since is has one built-in, I wager no.

Another option is buy an Access Point with Client mode, and hook up to RJ45, look at it as a big dongle. :)

To answer your original question, I wager 5G won't help because 5G has even LESS reach than 2.4G but this assume your problem is distance and not RF interference. Fire up your dual band laptop here and REALLY look at the signal, how strong? what's the Signal to Noise?

rronald_25

Honorable
Apr 16, 2013

The TV is in the living room, the router is in the hallway (+- 5m away)
Laptops & mobile phones are all got at least 3 bars, but mostly 4-5 bars.
Tried to pair the miracast, but also didnt work
I mean I cant complain much as I got this for free, and so far watching movies from usb stick works fine, its just that sometimes I want to watch football games live from my laptop to the TV.

Now the questions is, what are the cheapest option to stream files?
Im thinking about chromecast 2 for €35ish

Thanx

Wiz33

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
Solution