Would a better laptop make a steam download faster?

Solution
Well, to the contrary of what other people say here; let me state my opinions and ideas:

Downloading is both dependent on your software limits (both perhaps user-defined, or defined by your ISP) and if they're under the advertised average speed then you should check your hardware. If you're, for example, still running a Wireless G/N device, but have an AC2 Access Point, then a new piece of hardware would speed it up. You could just buy a new laptop too, as laptops with G/N are often a little older too.

Installing, on the other hand: Ye! Yeah, a faster laptop can and most likely WILL speed that up. Today's days are full of SSD's and fast processors, which make it much easier for the installer to get something done faster.
If you want faster downloads then connect to the laptop to the router with a RJ-45 cable rather than through WiFi. WiFi is always slower than a wired connection.

You could also upgrade whatever internet plan you currently have for faster download speeds.

Steam servers could be really busy with other people downloading games. That will affect your download speed.

AlexianaBritmonkey

Prominent
Aug 4, 2017
Well, to the contrary of what other people say here; let me state my opinions and ideas:

Downloading is both dependent on your software limits (both perhaps user-defined, or defined by your ISP) and if they're under the advertised average speed then you should check your hardware. If you're, for example, still running a Wireless G/N device, but have an AC2 Access Point, then a new piece of hardware would speed it up. You could just buy a new laptop too, as laptops with G/N are often a little older too.

Installing, on the other hand: Ye! Yeah, a faster laptop can and most likely WILL speed that up. Today's days are full of SSD's and fast processors, which make it much easier for the installer to get something done faster.

Solution