Would an Onkyo TX-8020 be a reasonable replacement for an Onkyo TX-3000?

Gwensparkle

Estimable
Jul 13, 2014
Opinions from anyone familiar with Onkyo line?

Here's the 8020: http://

My TX-3000 is looking like it might be beyond my capability to repair, and having someone else repair electronics is rarely cost effective. I'd rather not spend any money, but definitely not more than I need to. The TX-3000 worked great for my needs (I have a dvd and a vhs player sound connected with video to the tv. I also have a record player, although rarely used these days. I have a couple of oversized ESP speakers that I bought at the same time as the TX-3000 and would like to continue to use.

I liked the sound quality of my old Onkyo and would like to get as close as possible on a budget. I don't expect my 3000 to suddenly cure itself and start working properly again.

Thanks for any opinions on this. :)

There is very little chance that the new Onkyo will be even close to the sound of you old one. The new one is cheaper even without taking inflation into account and it offers remote control, internet streaming etc that did not exist then. If you use the tuner there will be a major difference their as modern receivers pay almost no attention to that at all. Would suggest either a Marantz, NAD, or Cambridge Audio receiver as more equivalent to your golden oldie.

Gwensparkle

Estimable
Jul 13, 2014

Thanks for your feedback. I'm not familiar with those brands or which models of those so time for some research maybe before jumping in., I'm disappointed to hear replacing with another Onkyo would not work. I liked the quality of the sound and it had plenty of power for my needs. I had tracked down good reviews of the 8020 ... ah well. That's why I came here to ask, to get opinions from people who have a broader knowledge that I do in this area. Mine is mostly limited to I like how my old receiver sounds.

When I bought it originally, I was able to listen to it and compare it to others in the store. Now, what I want would probably get me laughed out of most places. Internet - no thanks. Surround sound - no thanks. Remote - no need. analog display - not mandatory, but fun and kind of cool in today's world.

You have me thinking I need to step back and rethink. Maybe even stare at my current receiver some more and figure out how to fix it. Maybe even consider just finding another TX-3000 to buy used. Used can have its hassles, but I've had pretty good luck for the most part with that.

JoshSteich

Estimable
Oct 7, 2014

I'm looking at the 8020 too, and I don't think that americanaudiophile knows what they're talking about. The 8020 is an analog receiver that doesn't have any of the internet streaming, 5/7.1, surround, remote or anything like that. It has a phono in, along with 4 others, and an A/B output. It's dirt simple and looks pretty reasonably priced. I'm curious to find opinions from people who have heard it, not folks who dismiss it based on features it doesn't even have.

Gwensparkle

Estimable
Jul 13, 2014

I wandered around the internet in confusion for a bit. Then decided to visit a couple of nearby thriftstores to pick something up for sound just to tide me over. The second store had a receiver and it looked remarkably like my Onkyo in general look and controls. For $20 I took a chance.

It was a Pioneer sx-3700 and it ended up becoming my perfectly acceptable permanent replacement. Very similar sound quality. http://

In short, I abandoned looking at current market alternatives. I can't say everyone would be as lucky as I was but I think scouting a few thrift stores is worth a try if you are looking for a receiver with good sound from "simpler times". :)

gjamison

Estimable
Nov 23, 2014
I just got one today. It's paired up with some NHT 2.3 speakers. It sounds fantastic to my ears. Clean, open, punchy. For the price I think it's an exceptional amp. No menus either, just knobs!