Would having the wrong GPU drivers installed on my laptop cause my GPU to not work correctly?

mattangle

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012
I have a Dell inspirion laptop, but I think I have the wrong drivers installed or something. It has two drivers installed for graphics under the device manager tab, I am not near the laptop at the moment so I can't list them now but I'll update with the driver names in about two hours. Also in speccy (program that pulls up specs) it shows my graphics card as (illegal vendor-id). So I am not sure I have the right driver for my gpu installed, and if I should have two installed or not. The gpu is a Nvidia Geforce GT 525m. Appreciate any help!

Thanks

vesp3r

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2014
Hi there, normally you would have 2 graphic drivers nowadays: 1 for the cpu graphics (usually intel) and the NVidia driver
I suggest you to remove all graphic drivers and put in the disk (if you have) or run the Microsoft update to install the driver for Intel GPU, then go here -> http://www.geforce.com/drivers at the bottom you have the option to auto check your GPU
Download the suggested driver and you should be fine

bystander

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009

Not a bad idea, except don't ever use the drivers on the disk, unless required for some reason. And if you do, immediately go online to their website and get the latest drivers. The ones are the disk are always old and often don't work correctly.

mattangle

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012
I apologize for the late response and I do greatly appreciate the suggestions. I do not have the disk, and it was an upgrade feature to the laptop when I bought it so going to the specs on the factory website doesn't have my GPU. So do I just uninstall current drives and try to find the drivers for a Nvidia Geforce GT 525m direct and install them?