Would you consider this a good all round performing laptop?

Johnathan Salmon

Honorable
Sep 26, 2013
I am looking at buying this laptop with the following specs:

Brand: ASUS
Model: Asus K750JB-TY023H-BE
Processor: Intel Core i7-4700HQ (2,4 GHz)
RAM: 8192Mb DDR3 1600MHz
HDD: 1TB
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GF GT740M 2Gb Dedicated
Screen: 17.3"

Price: 899 Euros (the max i am willing to pay and not looking at online ordering and so)

I like playing games, anything from COD , Bioshock infinite, Skyrim, minecraft ect. I also use it running Visual Studio 2012 and multimedia such as watching videos and listening to music. My Girlfriend will use it sometimes for rendering her Autocad Rivit designs as well and Photoshop.

Will this be able to the job? As you can see this is really an all round required laptop.

Thanks for the help!

It should get the job done.the cpu is the latest haswell lineup and the dedicated 740m is a decent cpu.you could handle any task and play most games at medium to high setting with decent frames per second at low res.just need additional tweaking like AA set to fxaa or off and direct x 11 stuff like tesselation etc set to low or off.

ImPain

Honorable
Aug 2, 2013
Your i7-4700HQ is a 4cores with hyperthreading (8 virtual cores), it will be good for rendering and heavy multitasking.
Regarding games, the 740M is not so powerful just so you know, you will be able to play some low demanding games (minecraft for instance) well but for the more demanding games (COD, SKyrim, Bioshock, etc.) you won't be able to go very high in graphics just so you know.
You will be able to play them of course but probably in low/med settings to have reasonable FPS, here some game benchmarks for you to see : http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-740M.89900.0.html

Regards.

Johnathan Salmon

Honorable
Sep 26, 2013
Thanks for your inputs!

Regarding games, the 740M is not so powerful just so you know, you will be able to play some low demanding games (minecraft for instance) well but for the more demanding games (COD, SKyrim, Bioshock, etc.) you won't be able to go very high in graphics just so you know

I do know that the GT740 is not meant to play those games at Ultra high or so, but before this laptop, I had the following:
Brand: Lenovo
Model: Z580
Processor: Intel Core i5 - 3210m (2,4 GHz)
RAM: 6Gb DDR3 1600MHz
HDD: 500GB
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GF GT630M 2Gb Dedicated
Screen: 15"
And this computer had a punch to it. Played high on most of those games with really good FPS but with alterations like Kookie3010 mentioned (AA, fxaa ect. ) and according to notebookcheck, the 740 rates higher than the 630 thus, i assume it will have at least a bit more graphics added :) But as the title suggests, I am just looking for a good ALL ROUND laptop, doesn't have to stand out in one specific area. If i can play current games at medium, I would be happy about it :)

Johnathan Salmon

Honorable
Sep 26, 2013

Unfortunately not any model here in Belgium has a SSD combined with it :(

ImPain

Honorable
Aug 2, 2013
Then you will be fine with it :) in the end it all comes to your needs and expectations.
This graphic card will still be an improvement regarding your previous one.