WoW: Cataclysm is Fastest Selling Game Ever

Status
Not open for further replies.

knightmike

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
Good for Blizzard. They're making a boat load of money on subscription fees and expansions. I don't blame them one bit for releasing pay-for expansions on top of charging a subscription fee. There's obviously 12 million people that don't mind paying for something twice.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Next up: Ice is cold, politicians lie, McDonalds is bad for you.

Seriously though, good for Blizzard. Not so good for the millions of WoW addicts out there whose lives have been ruined (or at least social lives).

XZaapryca

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
Meh. People have been ruining their lives since the dawn of time. Who cares how they do it. Flying in Azeroth is fantastic. Blizzard should have done this a long time ago. However, the longer the pain the sweeter the pleasure, right? That's what Mistress Sabrina tells me...er...what I've heard.

geof2001

Distinguished
May 23, 2008
so $132 million dollars day 1 not accounting for how many of those might have CE's.. How will they ever recoup development costs?

chickenhoagie

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
Its funny..I hear all the hype about WoW and how they sell so many of their games..yet i have not met one person in my highschool of 800 students that plays this. Call of duty on the other hand..

gladiator_mohaa

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
[citation][nom]PhantomTrooper[/nom]how is this the fastest selling game ever? Call of Duty Black Ops sold 7 million copies on its first day! Thats over twice as many. Article FAIL![/citation]

Well Black Ops was across all platforms PC and Console. I think is referring to PC only titles.

kimyeang88

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
[citation][nom]chickenhoagie[/nom]Its funny..I hear all the hype about WoW and how they sell so many of their games..yet i have not met one person in my highschool of 800 students that plays this. Call of duty on the other hand..[/citation]

you know that most high school students don't work, they can affort to pay 15 bucks a month to play the game?

kimyeang88

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
[citation][nom]PhantomTrooper[/nom]how is this the fastest selling game ever? Call of Duty Black Ops sold 7 million copies on its first day! Thats over twice as many. Article FAIL![/citation]
7 million copy are on PC/PS3/360. while WoW is only on PC 3.3 million copy..... which is more than Black Ops on PC , was it like 2.3 million copy?

therabiddeer

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
[citation][nom]chickenhoagie[/nom]Its funny..I hear all the hype about WoW and how they sell so many of their games..yet i have not met one person in my highschool of 800 students that plays this. Call of duty on the other hand..[/citation]
1) Its high school, people are less likely to talk about video games such as WoW because its more nerdy
2) Its high school, people are less likely to have their own computer or a computer able to run it (how many people at your high school play modern computer games?)
3) Its high school, how many people can afford the monthly payments?

Basically... its high school. There are quite a few people that I work with that play WoW (even people that my parents work with that play WoW).

shadowryche

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
I don't think it is a manner of whether or not kids in high school could afford the computer or the subscription fee. Its a manner of whether or not the kids who can afford it, have the time to play a game like World of Warcraft. From my sophmore year on through high school I had a job. Even built me a nice computer using an Evergreen Overclocker chip at 133mhz. Ran Windows 3.11 and MechWarrior 2 just fine when I had time to play.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
I'm playing the expansion and am disappointed in it. They've gone back to the old ways of making gear extremely hard to get. Instances take 2-3 hours instead of 20-40 minutes. Quests were all single player based. What's the point of paying to play with the wife if we can't actually quest together?

I did 2 years of hardcore raiding and now I just want to log on a couple times a week and kill raid bosses. No way in hell I'm going back to 4 hours a day, 5 days a week and I get the impression that's what they're after again.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
Oh and remaking the old world was just a cheap way of making an expansion. Touching it up for flight, adding a minimal number of new zones compared to other expansions and adding some new quests was just cheap. Cutscenes are total amateur hour. I think I've actually seen better ones on youtube done by fans. In Lich King they dropped cutscenes down to in-game models but rendered and enhanced them.. This time around they aren't even putting the money into that and just doing in-game cutscenes in a 6 year old engine. No sounds, no music, horrible animation = dullest, most cheaply made budget cutscenes that make me cringe when I think I paid 40 bux for this shit (plus the monthly fee).

Honestly, this is just another Activision release designed to rake in as much money as possible with minimal development costs.

Status
Not open for further replies.