WoW Laptop/Y'all were a great help last time....

christopheru

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
I posted this question to y'all six years ago and you guys (most notably Abysslax) knocked it out of the park.

The laptop that y'all recommended is dying. Said laptop (which I'm still typing on) is still going strong. Problem is, I have worn out the screen hinges because I have used it so much. Right now this screen is not held by hinges, but by duct tape. And the protective wraps around the cords going from the screen to the computing parts are fraying. I can pull the screen a full 1.5" from the base without problems; that's how far the hinges have worn.

I would like your help finding a replacement.

To answer the questions I answered before:

1. What is your budget?

I would really like to stay below $700. I'm married now, and that's what my wife paid for her work laptop along with accessories. Makes it easier to justify, and I already have the accessories. Also, as before, I will prioritize anything that comes in under budget.

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

15" and larger.

3. What screen resolution do you want?

Unsure

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

Not sure what's meant by this. I don't have a desktop, and the laptop will be on external power 95% of the time.

5. How much battery life do you need?

Minimal. The laptop will be on external power 95% of the time.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

The laptop will probably be used for playing WoW more than anything else. My current laptop is about 6 years old (and awesome, thanks to y'all; see above) and I'd like something that can handle WoW at high or ultra mode. I also use quite a few addons if that makes a difference. [strike]I tried reading through the WoW graphics card review found on this site[/strike] I haven't had time to read through graphics card reviews and whatnot like I did last time; I'm at your mercy.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)

General internet, MS Office, PureEdge, media player. I'm pretty sure that every laptop out there can handle these.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?

I'm using external HDDs extensively, so not much. Most of my storage is taken up by photos and videos of my kids, the vast majority of which are backed up to the cloud and the rest of which I have external HDDs to conquer. So...maybe 300 GB, more would be great, but the cloud has drastically changed how much we need locally, I believe.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

You guys recommended my last one. It is literally falling apart and that's why I'm looking for a new one after almost six years. You waaaaaay exceeded my expectations.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?

No less than 2 years.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

Due to work requirements, I need the ability to read and write CDs. DVD R/W is preferable, but not absolutely necessary.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

I had a great Lenovo experience because of your last reviews. I went on a spree where I would purchase decently priced laptops (~ $1000) and test them out. They were all lacking, and they were mostly HP. Because of this, I'm hesitant to trust anything HP (at least from our favorite blue/yellow branded chain).

13. What country do you live in?

I live in the USA. I still spend about half my time in Afghanistan.

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

If it needs to be handled delicately, then it's probably not for me. I would really, really like a computer with a keyboard that's equivalent to the Lenovo IdeaPad Y570 as it managed fits well into the space and the tactile functions are quite agreeable to my tactic touchpads.

Solution
This is a good deal for a lower spec gaming laptop https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIADYY6GM9419&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC-_-pla-_-Notebooks-_-9SIADYY6GM9419&gclid=Cj0KCQjwprbPBRCHARIsAF_7gDbBJP6oeuRLxfIDj-d6NmM0IWdmYwJvlhnZ-6Gn85hdqMlFDhvFD_8aAiPeEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Just a bit over 700, good CPU and an acceptable video card, although no solid state drive. It is not built as solidly as the higher end gaming laptops or the Lenovo business models, but for the price you can't do better unless you buy a used system.
This is a good deal for a lower spec gaming laptop https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIADYY6GM9419&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC-_-pla-_-Notebooks-_-9SIADYY6GM9419&gclid=Cj0KCQjwprbPBRCHARIsAF_7gDbBJP6oeuRLxfIDj-d6NmM0IWdmYwJvlhnZ-6Gn85hdqMlFDhvFD_8aAiPeEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Just a bit over 700, good CPU and an acceptable video card, although no solid state drive. It is not built as solidly as the higher end gaming laptops or the Lenovo business models, but for the price you can't do better unless you buy a used system.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS