Wozniak Confirms Issues with White iPhone 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
Wait so the back of the phone is one piece of plastic?
If it isn't why didn't they just use the same plastic's that covers the optics that they used for the original iPhone 4?

Apple and their complicated methods ugh.

If somebody want's to enlighten me on how they produce their backplate please do so, I'm confused..

akula2

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
joytech22,

Why don't you set up a company and roll out couple of phones to compete against Apple?
Hey, which products are really free of plastics? I know even some of the top end Super cars have plastic parts in them so why fuss about Apple's processes? Having said that, I would agree on improving the plastic quality.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
[citation][nom]akula2[/nom]joytech22,Why don't you set up a company and roll out couple of phones to compete against Apple? Hey, which products are really free of plastics? I know even some of the top end Super cars have plastic parts in them so why fuss about Apple's processes? Having said that, I would agree on improving the plastic quality.[/citation]

I must be missing something, Apple must be producing the plastic as one piece if they can't apply such a simple fix that I posted in my first post, otherwise it would have been that simple.

Or I could just be completely ignorant and be missing the bigger picture to making plastic?

TheKurrgan

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
White iPhone 4's ship sailed a long time ago. There is no white iphone 4 nor is there a point in one at this time.
Skip it is my thought.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]Wait so the back of the phone is one piece of plastic?If it isn't why didn't they just use the same plastic's that covers the optics that they used for the original iPhone 4?Apple and their complicated methods ugh.If somebody want's to enlighten me on how they produce their backplate please do so, I'm confused..[/citation]

sure, you give me 500mill startup, and i will so make a phone that can topple the iphone.
id get a nice 1.2ghz dual core processor, possibly a quad, ala psp2, id get a 3d screen like the 3ds has, but a better gpu, and have it push 720p
the phone would be a bit wider than the iphone, but thats so it can hold the bigger screen.

now here is the fun part. i would have the standard version be thin with 1 camera build in, and one on the front. from there would could place it inside shells, think of being able to take the psp screen out and useing it as a phone if you want. because all the hardware is in the phone, the shells can be noting but extra features, like a higher resolution camera, a 3d camera setup, a psp like shell, with real buttons and sticks, and even better, it could house extra batter life in a shell.

basically give the people a thin phone if thats all they want, and give them extra functionality without having to roll out a new phone.

im assuming that putting this all together would cost about 100 mill, possibly up to 200 mill, the rest would be advertise it, and pay celebertys to use it publicly for a while, especially the reality tv ones.

and finaly, EVERYTHING would have a tech illiterate proof tutorial for it.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]sure, you give me 500mill startup, and i will so make a phone that can topple the iphone.[/citation]

To be honest I don't get your point if there is one, I ask a simple question, is it one piece of plastic or is the plastic covering the camera separate and I get 4 sentences and a line of completely irrelevant text.

I didn't ask you to make a perfect phone and sure, if any of us we're given the chance we would all make a phone that caters to "OUR" specific needs but it probably wont happen given our current situation: no 500 million.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Some will purchase this one as its the latest. Then comes the next and they "must" have that one. Some companies are better to prey on this status need than others!

Next version is 5% faster (like everyone drive a heavy lifting server on their phones), offer amazing 1% better camera (like its a good system camera to begin with) and another ground breaking 5% more battery life (without the possibility to change it). A must have /cough!

sparky2010

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2008
in the world of technology, you DO NOT wait until the next thing is out, cause then you'd be waiting all your life... ohhh cpus gonna be upgraded soon.. ohh nice cpus, but wait, they're not the high-end ones, gonna wait for that... ohhh nice! but wait, the competitor hasn't released their crap, so i'll wait, ohhh, nice (or not so nice, gonna have to wait)... same with the iphone.. with its ridiculous price, you'd imagine that apple would give people a little more than a year to enjoy their phones, but no.. gotta ruin their little world they live in and give other people a chance to live big.... ekh...

G

Eh? But the glass over the camera bit is clear on the black iPhone. In fact, it has a little metal ring round it, so it's not the same piece as the rest of the case. I don't get it.

zubikov

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
Waiting for iPhone 6. Got a guy in Foxxcon...heard a rumor it'll have 4G and whitespace WiFi, 128 GB SSD with a quad-core Apple A16 processor running 2 ghz. It's also bulletproof and can fold out to be a coffee table. Take that Microsoft surface!

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
[citation][nom]zubikov[/nom]Waiting for iPhone 6. Got a guy in Foxxcon...heard a rumor it'll have 4G and whitespace WiFi, 128 GB SSD with a quad-core Apple A16 processor running 2 ghz. It's also bulletproof and can fold out to be a coffee table. Take that Microsoft surface![/citation]

dont forget ltd :) and a 5 inch screen :eek: o and gaming ability like windows ooo and... wait nvm

slipdisc

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]I must be missing something, Apple must be producing the plastic as one piece if they can't apply such a simple fix that I posted in my first post, otherwise it would have been that simple.Or I could just be completely ignorant and be missing the bigger picture to making plastic?[/citation]
Its not plastic. It uses panels of chemically strengthened aluminosilicate glass.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPhone_4

liveonc

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2008
Just use some of that "titanium glass" they used back in the 50's to protect their cameras when they were filming nuclear explosions... ;-)

truerock

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006
The camera lens on the back of the iPhone 4 is a complex set of concentric materials. The outside area is, of course, the black iPhone case. Inside of that is a silver metal ring. Inside of that is a clear window. Behind that is a black shiny material tube. Inside of that is a flat gray material tube. Inside of that is the camera lens.

mikem_90

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
[citation][nom]akula2[/nom]joytech22,Why don't you set up a company and roll out couple of phones to compete against Apple? Hey, which products are really free of plastics? I know even some of the top end Super cars have plastic parts in them so why fuss about Apple's processes? Having said that, I would agree on improving the plastic quality.[/citation]

Because you can't. 500 million is chump change. You gotta get patents to do that, and that requires licensing thousands of patents from many many many companies. Which means a big legal team to research all the patents you need first off, could take months...

Start a new company in this Environment? yeah right. you can try, till the big boys see you doing something that threatens their dominance or does something neat they want, then they sue you out of existance, ruin your live, your business, and then you'll be thankful when they say "give us this technology or patent.".

truerock

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006
I'm guessing that they tried to replace the black, shiny tube with a white tube - because it looked better - and that did not work. The flash is close to the camera lens. It may have shined light through the white tube where a black tube blocked the light from the flash.

Status
Not open for further replies.