WP7 Makes Permanent Changes to microSD Card

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bhaberle

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2008
Microsoft... I am a fan of your products but geez! Sometimes you make it so hard to be. With all your money and resources, little mistakes like this should never happen.

G

Yeah guys it may may be fun shooting down MS at every opportunity (heck, I enjoy it myself from time to time). But at least get your facts straight. Samsung included this feature so that additional storage can be added cost effectively, it was not meant to be removable storage.

jgutz2006

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
I was a 100% backer of Windows Mobile 6/6.5 but they were too late to the rodeo and i've seen that the grass is greener on the other side and now that i've tasted android, i dont see how i could ever make it back and these types of articles reinforce that idea. I cant believe that microsoft is so blind to see the shift in the "open source" android for smart phones and then put out a device exclusive and proprietary like an iphone without the fanboi following! Strike 4!

o0RaidR0o

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]Class shouldn't matter, if you have a Class 6 card it should run in a class 2 slot, and vice-versa (just like SATA 1.5Gbps drive should run in a 3gbps slot or DDR3-1600 RAM can run in a DDR3-1333 slot). Yes, Class 2 is slower, but you aren't using the card as RAM, just storage. And as for USB charging, my G1 can charge over any mini-USB cable, but it uses a special usb cable for data, you have to ask HTC why (however, I think they fixed this recently).[/citation]
You do realize that you can run your apps off the sdcard, so the just storage philosophy doesn't hold water anymore. I can't speak for the WP7, but WM6.5 and Froyo allow for installation of apps onto the sdcard.

G

OS X does this already. Put my SD card in my iMac, download some photos, put it back in the camera. Oops, card is screwed. OS X destroys it so only OS X can read it.

G

The unified concept is a good one! The Samsung Focus has 8GB. If I outgrow that I can pop in a card and instantly have upgraded my memory capacity. Can't do that on an Apple product. In this scenario you would be stuch buying a new device. As for all the other missing features like cut and paste, get serious on these small devices any surgical cut and paste operations on a small device is an excercise in frustration. Get real.

Multitasking is another. Again get serious! I am an IT professional, travel constantly, communicate continuously and I would not even fantasize about doing more than a couple of things at once on a handhel device. It's core apps do multitask and those are about all you really need which includes music.

I find the WiFi limitations lacking the ability connect to networks with hidden SSID's to be a bigger deal yet nobody even mentions that.

The device is an excellent one. It's a 1.0 product and so far has annoyances but nothing that keeps anyone from doing anything of consequence. In 6 months this phone will be even better and by this time next year it will be the platform to beat!

slipdisc

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
[citation][nom]pandarus79[/nom]This is the second article I have seen, and the writers should do a bit more homework before posting them as fact.[/citation]

Its all good. The haters are gonna hate. Tom's doesn't really post them as true facts. They just repeat and regurgitate posts and FUD from other sites. It all equals more traffic and ad impressions which in turn, equals more money for the site.

I got my gf a focus, also bought a 16gb class 4 sdhc card from newegg. and it works just as it did before. Although it did reset the device when I initially installed it, but she hadn't even setup her accounts yet so no big deal.

G

As usual the Microsoft hate is in full effect even though it is quite clear that this isn't Micorosft's fault. Only the Samsung Focus allows the swapping of a SD card for memory upgrade out the 7 phones available, yet it's Microsoft's fault when Samsung doesn't have cards ready for their consumers? Please, tell me. How the f*** does that work? Considering Samsung knew of the issues, as well as AT&T, you would have thought they'd have partnered with a 3rd party to make compatible HD cards available right along side the phone. Especially seeing as such cards are available in bulk quantities. I know some people want to see Microsoft fail, to them it's as appealing as a chocolate covered orgasm, but in this case these folks are way off base.

Status
Not open for further replies.