WP7 Makes Permanent Changes to microSD Card

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wotan31

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
Microsoft bastardizes an industry standard, and a Windows OS has problems. This isn't news, this is history repeating itself for the 14th time.

wotan31

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
[citation][nom]cirdecus[/nom]Its amazing how microsoft is confused on why it can't compete in these areas... its because of decisions like this.[/citation]
It isn't amazing, it's par for the course. Unless the product name is "Windows" "Office" or "Xbox", you just know its going to fail. Those are the only 3 Microsoft product lines anyone cares about. Besides, all previous Microsoft mobile OS's were complete failures, why would WP7 be any different? Android is the market leader, and will remain so for the foreseeable future.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
[citation][nom]damianrobertjones[/nom]? We're talking about windows mobile here, not android. The last eight damn WInMobs I've purchased for work all used and synched using the same cable. Now, with the last few devices, HD2 etc, they ALL use the industry standard mini/micro usb cables.As for the class of card, MILLIONS of people play music and especially video from their SD cards and so... along with now recording video, playing games, a faster card is highly recommended.I didn't say that Class 6 won't work in a class 2 slot? Do class 2 slots exist? Stop confusing the matter. "but you aren't using the card as RAM, just storage". Ok, let's all run everything from really slow ram or the slowest 5200rpm hard drive as it's only for storage. Umm... no!We/I/MS want to ensure that the card's used on their phones are up to the task at hand. Fast media access and playback. Class 2 does not cut it and the MOMENT thousands of devices slow down due to CRAPPY cards from china, who gets the blame? MS[/citation]

I can't imagine why you're ranting so hard on this issue, maybe you were on the WP7 dev team, but your point on speed completely fails since the ONLY card certified safe so far is a Class 2 card, the slowest of modern SDHC cards. The Class rating is overrated to begin with since manufacturers make their own claims of speed without an independent testing and it's only a rating of write speed. You might also want to keep in mind that most computer components are made in Asia, including Samsung's, so hopefully you don't have a problem with things being "from china".
I should also throw out that 5200RPM hard drives and "slow RAM" would also be a great deal faster than an SD card on reads and writes. That's the thing you might be missing here, SD is a standardized format intended to be removable and swappable, but not intended for the best performance. They wouldn't bother putting plastic around the chip if it was meant to stay in a device. MS intended for this memory to only be implemented by OEMs and mobile companies right? If it's only meant to be implemented at that level and not meant to be removed, why NOT just place a memory chip directly on the board? You'd likely get much faster performance than you would with an SD card.

elkein

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
My BB encrypts data to it's card, thats a very good feature, it means if the device is stolen it can be remotely bricked, including effectively the data on my card. At least as far as I know know one has broken the device to card encryption BB uses.
That said it uses fairly standard micro SD chips just fine, and the encryption is selectable, the card it can be plugged into a PC and read if not encrypted.

hons

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
Does that mean SD card in MS Windows Mobile devices cannot use in MS Windows Desktop devices??? Is this my mistake or Microsoft's mistake????

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Not sure why people are making this out to be a bigger deal than it actually is.

Personally I think making the microSD storage an integral part of the phone memory was a smart idea. That way there's no distinction and it's treated as one big memory space where things can be saved to and installed onto.

For those talking about how they remove microSD to transfer photos: there's a thing called Bluetooth and "the cloud" that Microsoft offers. Bluetooth, well that's self-explanatory. If you have a computer you most likely have Bluetooth. Use the cloud to store your photos, music and video. Simple as that.

Besides, when updates come along, it will most likely be done through a cable conncetion anyway. My friend's X10 updates its firmware that way, iPhone updates via an itunes cable, and I'm sure WP7 will be doing the same. My point? You'll likely be using the cable a lot more often than you think.

mrdrwest

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2010
Stop making a mountain out of a mole hill. The situation will eventually be rectified: as stupid and sucky as it is!

I don't care that MS decided to make the memory expansion integral to WP7's file system, thus making it unuseable to plug into a printer, another phone, or a pc. For those of you who want "Tricorder" functionality, stay with Windows Mobile 6.x or Android x.x device.

Samsung should have just built 8GB and 32GB devices and certified microSD cards should have been available at launch. How could they not know people would want to upgrade?. But I guess they didn't want to gamble on the device not being a success. I would have paid the extra $ for the 32GB device.

REMEMBER. YOU CAN'T EXPAND 8GB iPhones either, but at least consumers weren't teased with the possibility.

Get it together Samsung, ATT, and Microsoft. I'm loving the new WP7 on my Samsung Focus with 32GB I installed that rebooted once: lost everything, then rebooted again and got everything back...whew!!! But that wasn't cool.

mrdrwest

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2010
Stop making a mountain out of a mole hill. The situation will eventually be rectified: as stupid and sucky as it is!

I don't care that MS decided to make the memory expansion integral to WP7's file system, thus making it unuseable to plug into a printer, another phone, or a pc. For those of you who want "Tricorder" functionality, stay with Windows Mobile 6.x or Android x.x device.

Samsung should have just built 8GB and 32GB devices and certified microSD cards should have been available at launch. How could they not know people would want to upgrade?. But I guess they didn't want to gamble on the device not being a success. I would have paid the extra $ for the 32GB device.

REMEMBER. YOU CAN'T EXPAND 8GB iPhones either, but at least consumers weren't teased with the possibility.

Get it together Samsung, ATT, and Microsoft. I'm loving the new WP7 on my Samsung Focus with 32GB I installed that rebooted once: lost everything, then rebooted again and got everything back...whew!!! But that wasn't cool.

spentshells

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2006
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]Not sure why people are making this out to be a bigger deal than it actually is.Personally I think making the microSD storage an integral part of the phone memory was a smart idea. That way there's no distinction and it's treated as one big memory space where things can be saved to and installed onto.For those talking about how they remove microSD to transfer photos: there's a thing called Bluetooth and "the cloud" that Microsoft offers. Bluetooth, well that's self-explanatory. If you have a computer you most likely have Bluetooth. Use the cloud to store your photos, music and video. Simple as that.Besides, when updates come along, it will most likely be done through a cable conncetion anyway. My friend's X10 updates its firmware that way, iPhone updates via an itunes cable, and I'm sure WP7 will be doing the same. My point? You'll likely be using the cable a lot more often than you think.[/citation]

Eddy just a heads up when you put in the card the file system is spread out accross the memory and when you pull the card and turn it on it formats your telephone

G

For all who don't know, the focus has 8GB on the board, you can ADD more if you like without losing the original 8GB. I added a 16GB and now have 24GB in my device. It seems some think that all you have is the SD for storage which isn't true. They gave you a cheap, secure way of adding more memory to your device...they could released more models of the devices with more onboard and said screw it but you would have paid a ton more than the cost of a micro SDHC card.

You don't "have" to use any of your cards, you have the option or choice to do it. They make it clear what is going to happen. Between the WP7 and the IOS method of doing things, I prefer having that choice... even between the Android and WP7 method, I prefer them being able to satisfy the DRM requirements set for by content providers so that I can have access to Netflix and Zune DRM material on the go.

All you people about being given choices scares the hell out of me.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]tpi2007[/nom]What ?!?Are they serious about this ? One thing is to require special cards in order to operate properly, another completely different is to render a card useless outside the phone.You won't be able to put it into your printer to print photos, neither your multicard reader on your PC/Laptop/Netbook, or other phones or media players.[/citation]
Tell me how you change the memory card on this phone. Oh, you've never seen one? It isn't designed to be a removable card. It is designed to be fast internal storage which is also expandable.

Ripping the card out of the inside of one of these and expecting it to work in your camera or whatever, that's like ripping an SSD out of a RAID 5 array and expecting your Mac to read the files. You have to format it first for it to even be usable. No permanent changes are made to these microSD cards, but you would have to format it to use it again in another device. If you can't figure it out, you're better off leaving it to the professionals.

jkoltner

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2010
While I can see Microsoft's point of view here, let me add my own two cents:

1) OK, if the card needs to be changed to no longer be compatible with regular PCs/printers/etc., fine -- but at least provide a utility the CHANGES THE CARD BACK, even if this does require erasing the contents of the card in the process.
2) I have a hard time believing the notion that it's the read/write performance of the card that's driving this decision -- DRM/encryption seems far more likely. Again fine, but see #1.
3) I have a Touch Pro 2, and I *do* occasionally remove its micro SD card so that I can stick the one in form my camera, do a little low-end photo editing, and then print it out to a tiny little Polaroid printer. I've probably done this about a dozen times over the span of a year that I've hard the Touch Pro 2. ...so while I'd agree *many* people never remove the SD card from their phone, there are certainly a few of us who do.

techguy378

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
[citation][nom]AlexTheBlue[/nom]Tell me how you change the memory card on this phone. Oh, you've never seen one? It isn't designed to be a removable card. It is designed to be fast internal storage which is also expandable.Ripping the card out of the inside of one of these and expecting it to work in your camera or whatever, that's like ripping an SSD out of a RAID 5 array and expecting your Mac to read the files. You have to format it first for it to even be usable. No permanent changes are made to these microSD cards, but you would have to format it to use it again in another device. If you can't figure it out, you're better off leaving it to the professionals.[/citation]
Maybe you should learn to read. On a WP7 device permanent changes ARE made to the micro SD card. This is stated in Microsoft's own documentation. Once a micro SD card has been prepared for use in a WP7 device you can NOT reformat it on a desktop computer or standalone camera.

Microsoft should not have even allowed a micro SD card slot to be on a WP7 device if they were going to do this. The memory should have been soldered on to a PCB. Micro SD cards were never designed to be used in the way that Microsoft is using them under WP7.

damianrobertjones

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation]why NOT just place a memory chip directly on the board? You'd likely get much faster performance than you would with an SD card.[/citation]

Because the oems are still working with old designs and MS probably cut them some slack

Status
Not open for further replies.