X1 Carbon Gen 4 Idle/Load Temps

bsullivan1983

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012
I have the Lenovo X1 Carbon Gen 4 fully loaded. My idle temps are anywhere from 35C to 55C. Just from booting up. It can go from the 40s to the 50s in the drop of a hat just opening a program. Are these computers really that sensitive? If so I'll just buy a Mac. Was running VirtualBox last night installing some OS' and I'd hit 73-76C or so. Turned it on today, let it stay idle for about 10min then did a couple stress tests. Ran Prime95 v26.6 x64 Small FFTs test for 3min and had a max temp of 81C. Ran Cinebench R15's CPU test and hit a max temp of 73C. I've had this for almost a month yet it's only been turned on 10 times or less. I'm building a workstation for a client and was stress testing it the past couple days so I thought I'd check the temps on the laptop and I was less than pleased. My MacBook Pro never got above 50-55C under full load. Should I make a ticket or do these temps sound normal?

bsullivan1983

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012
I sent it in the week before last. It went to the level 1 techs- all they saw on the paperwork was "overheating" so they replaced the entire system board and CPU without even diagnosing anything. I sent it in on a Monday and had it back Thursday. Got it back, booted it up, fans were running almost 100% at cold boot with idle temps around 75C. Also my disk usage was 98-100% at each cold boot for 5+min. Never had problems with my rMBP or any of my desktops running Windows 10. This shouldn't be such a big deal. I buy cheap $500 Windows 10 laptops for clients multiple times a week and they have 0 issues. Lenovo is suppose to be one of the best business laptops on the market. I've sent it back in for the 2nd and final time. It will go to the level 2 techs now and if I receive it the same way again I will be calling back and requesting a refund in full. Probably just pick up another Mac and bootcamp Windows 10.

Sadly, that seems to be the trend anymore. Not really resolving the problem, just do a standard set of things that the company has decided you should do. It is one of the reasons I got out of that work. No allowing for thinking outside the assigned box.

Well, here's hoping they fix it.

bsullivan1983

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012
I appreciate it. I've been in the IT field for many years but I have no experience with the newer ultrabooks. It could be a fan or fan controller issue but I'm not comfortable opening it up, plus it's under warranty so I shouldn't have to

shubisnax

Prominent
Oct 13, 2017
I know this thread is a year old, but I thought my X1 Carbon 3rd gen was running a bit warm so I ran Asus RealBench stress test and was hitting 88C.
I took the bottom cover off, disconnected the battery, disconnected the cpu fan header and removed the 4 heatsink screws. The whole fan/heatsink assembly came right out so I cleaned that and the cpu with isopropyl alcohol. Used some Noctua thermal paste I had laying around and put everything back together. Now when I run RealBench, I'm getting temps between 65 and 72C. HUGE improvement. Apparently they used some crappy thermal paste..

bsullivan1983

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012

Will that void my warranty? Think I have another 2 years left or so.

shubisnax

Prominent
Oct 13, 2017
Yes, it will indeed void your warranty. Sorry, I should've mentioned that very important part. When you remove the bottom panel, there's a small case switch that opens(you can't close it back) which lets Lenovo know it's been opened.