Xbox 360 Has 10-year Lifecycle Thanks to Natal

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
By 2015, the 360 will be like a PSOne is to us today. There would most likely finally be a small version of the unit that is 1/4 the size it is today, so it'll cost $50~75 to buy it at the Walmart.

Xbox#3, PS4 and Nintendo Game-Triangle will be out around 2012.

PS: With Nintendo making profit from the Wii, I am kind of expecting them their R&D to actually beef up the hardware quite a bit.

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
It's not that they won't be releasing a new console within the next few years, they're just saying that they're going to support the 360 for 10 years, which really should be standard. You'd think a company wouldn't need to make such a bold claim, but Microsoft pretty much cut off the original Xbox once 360 came out.

I can't believe people are excited about Project Natal and buying into it. It's obvious that it's a gimmick. It's a fancier EyeToy, nothing more. Some of its features are cool but none really have any practical use especially when it comes to games. You'll see some mini-games for it and that's it. Their claimed support for pretty much any game I bet involves navigating menus or something. There's no way they're going to implement this technology in games unless they were specifically made for it, which like I said will include pretty much just mini-games. One of the key controls in almost any game is moving. How are you going to move with a camera? Run in place? Ok, then how are you going to turn and change direction? I rest my case.

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
[citation][nom]starryman[/nom]I have the PS2, PS3, and XBOX 360... For now, I like the 360 best but I've yet to go online with it since I refuse to buy the $79 wireless adapter - ripoff! So for now my PS3 is the console to go with when I want to play online.[/citation]
Don't forget monthly fees to play online with 360. Which is why I think PS3 is a better value and better overall system. 360 would be better if it included wi-fi and free online, but it doesn't which makes it more of a ripoff. I like the controller though and the games usually seem to turn out better with less bugs than PS3. $80 wireless adapter and $50+ yearly online fees plus the fact that Xbox Live is horribly slow and tedious. I tried a free month of it and said there was no way I was paying for this crap. I gave up even playing for free when I still had a couple weeks left.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
i know alot of people find this unbelievable, but i dont

simple because the 360 WILL last ten years, but by half way, they'll still probably release a new console. im pretty sure of that, and they'll make that last ten years as well. so they'll still support the 360 evne when the new console comes out, and probably make it $100 like the ps2

iron-e

Distinguished
May 2, 2008
I have a launch 360 still chugging away.

How do all the sony fanbois explain the fact that the 360 has known hardware issues and still outsells the PS3? If anything, isn't that further evidence of the 360's superiority? People are willing to deal with the potential of total hardware failure rather than buy a PS3.

reininop

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2006
[citation][nom]tacoslave[/nom]it will last 10 years, only if it doesn't rrod on you.Seriously how many launch 360's that still work are out there?[/citation]

At least one does.

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
If natal truly peforms as in the adverts I'll be seriously impressed. 1:1 fully body control is nuts, if they can really pull it off (at an add-on price no less) then hats off to MS because this is no simple feat.

SlicerX

Distinguished
May 26, 2008
I gave up on console gaming... I just don't see the point of paying upwards of $300 on a console platform when you can upgrade your PC for less and achieve the same (or better in some cases) graphic quality. And companies say that they will support past consoles everytime a new one is announced. I think its just to please the press, because everyone knows when the new ones come out thats what kids and parents gun for.

eyemaster

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
It doesn't matter if the x360 is maxed out before the 10 year life cycle, it doesn't mean that MS won't release another console before then.

BT

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2004
Obviously the Xbox360 will be upgraded or replaced in a few years since the power of computers continue to double every two years, but the 360 will still be around for another several years since there is tens of millions sold.

We see how much computer power and money is required to play Crysis in hi-res max, just think about what the future needs; and it has cost $400 for the consoles, not $4000.

Zingam

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
Well, because Microsoft rarely gets it right the first time I bet that tis Natal thing would be another great device for the Angry Video Game Nerd to review.

Zingam

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
[citation][nom]maurath55[/nom]u guys are dumb, just because it has a ten year life span dosnt mean they wont move on to the next one. ps2 is on its ninth year but the ps3 has been out for what three years?[/citation]

The guys are not dumb. Somebody wrote somewhere that it is quite possible that next consoles are released around 2018.

giovanni86

Distinguished
May 10, 2007
[citation][nom]Maxor127[/nom]Don't forget monthly fees to play online with 360. Which is why I think PS3 is a better value and better overall system. 360 would be better if it included wi-fi and free online, but it doesn't which makes it more of a ripoff. I like the controller though and the games usually seem to turn out better with less bugs than PS3. $80 wireless adapter and $50+ yearly online fees plus the fact that Xbox Live is horribly slow and tedious. I tried a free month of it and said there was no way I was paying for this crap. I gave up even playing for free when I still had a couple weeks left.[/citation]

Xbox live membership can be found for around 33 bucks at newegg.com. Xbox live is not slow, it must be your internet, get a better provider. Xbox live sweeps PS3's online abilities any day. I think natal has potential but i am not giving up my 360 controller for that any time soon, unless its a lot easier to do something with natal then it is with the controller. I like PS3's motion controller as well, very intriguing.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
Um BT, what about crysis in "hi-res max?" (seriously wtf is that suppose to mean?)

And to those thinking only Nintendo is making a profit off their console, that's BS. Microsoft has been making money off the xbox for a while, I think even break even with each console sold now too.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]zingam[/nom]The guys are not dumb. Somebody wrote somewhere that it is quite possible that next consoles are released around 2018.[/citation]

So somebody wrote somewhere that new consoles won't be seen until THREE years after the life cycle of a current one? Do you not realize the stupidity in that?

waffletronic

Distinguished
May 21, 2009
Watching the E3 demos of Natal and the new PS3 controller, I was WAY more impressed with the PS3 controller, it looked accurate and responsive. The Natal thing looked pretty laggy and "mushy" but it would be cool if it worked like their "vision" demo that had no actual use footage in it. We'll see... I'm way more excited about the PS3 controller. I think, as the sony guy said, for some things buttons ARE better...

BT

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2004
[citation][nom]kami3k[/nom]Um BT, what about crysis in "hi-res max?" (seriously wtf is that suppose to mean?)And to those thinking only Nintendo is making a profit off their console, that's BS. Microsoft has been making money off the xbox for a while, I think even break even with each console sold now too.[/citation]

Short hand for 1920x1200 or 2560x1600 resolutions, AA, AF, max detail and 60+ FPS. Specifically for Crysis, which is a hardware pig.

Status
Not open for further replies.