Xbox Live May Be Integrated into Windows 8

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
The real annoyance here will be when Nintendo, Sony and Valve all complain to the EU and ask for Wii, PSN and Steam to incorporated into Windows 8 with some stupid anti-trust case.

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]adamboy64[/nom]Yes, as I'm sure a lot of us are.A lot of the news so far about Windows 8 has been pretty concerning..Maybe they're just trying to make Windows 7 sell more by making Windows 8 an OS no-one will want to use?[/citation]

By the looks of it we will hang tight to Windows 7 for years to come...

G

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO.

The only reason you see people here agreeing with this sentiment is because you ARE NOT PC GAMERS. As PC gamers, we all know Microsoft's true colors. Games for Windows live Sucks big time. Why? Because firstly, their games are so expensive, they never have sales, a game released 4 years ago, price? $49.99. Their Games for Windows Live is so glitchy ang buggy on the PC sometimes it doesn;t even work. The GWL is dumbed down because of console versions. PC Gamers are not kids to go "wow this cartoon avatar makes me look cool!"

2nd Reason why i dont want GWL integrated. We have steam. Steam gives us access to almost every single game. now why would i want GWL that will take up additional resources? Also, steam does give very good sales. We have GoG, Steam, etc etc for our gaming needs. We dont need LIVE. Secondly, i seriously doubt xbox 360 games can ever be played on PC. It will most likely be a ported version. 3rdly, if we accept live to be integrated into the PC community, it shows Windows live Experience edgeing in into the PC community. We are resistant to the change because we dont want a dumbed down experience. The GWL expereience is first and foremost and will always be targeted for xbox audience. PC users will ALWAYS be 2nd comapred to them. As a result, we get dumbed down games that we can clearly see now adays. Microsoft will not try to put PC as a "better system" as they have claimed that PC platform is suffering because they will be shooting themselves in their foot. Xbox comes first for them.

dib

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]How come no-one complained this much when they put Xbox Live on WP7?This is another smart move towards unification.[/citation]

Unfortunately the unification is toward the lowest common denominator. I don't want console games on my PC just because a console has 1/5 the resources. Not everyone plays PC games on a $500 laptop.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]dib[/nom]Unfortunately the unification is toward the lowest common denominator. I don't want console games on my PC just because a console has 1/5 the resources. Not everyone plays PC games on a $500 laptop.[/citation]
No-one said the transition wouldn't have issues, but the benefits will outweigh the problems because problems get ironed out and benefits get enhanced.

I want to be able to play a game on the PC against a console opponant, I also want all my achievements to follow me between platforms, sure people bitch about this being done via GWL but only because they like Steam instead.

If Steam and Xbox Live were linked it would be a different story.

G

They will not integrate PC and Console together. Because everyone knows that PC players have an advantage due to the high precision of the mouse. That is why they did not develop cross platform play. The only game that i know that has cross plat form play is... ah.. Some Tower Defence game that was released a few months back when my friend was showing me that it can be played on the PC, Ipad and ITouch.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]moonshire[/nom]They will not integrate PC and Console together. Because everyone knows that PC players have an advantage due to the high precision of the mouse. That is why they did not develop cross platform play[/citation]
Since when does that have any affect on development?
There will always be someone with an advantage, wether it's me with a fast laser mouse versus someone with an old ball mouse or a faster graphics card.
As far as cross-platform goes, Mac, Linux and PC can now all play via Steam, so it makes sense for GWL and Xbox Live to try and work together because the rest of the gaming world is making some pretty pwerful alliances and unless Microsoft does something drastic it could get left out in the cold.

G

Since when does that have any affect on development?
There will always be someone with an advantage, wether it's me with a fast laser mouse versus someone with an old ball mouse or a faster graphics card.

The thing is, if you are using an old ball mouse, cant you upgrade? PC components can be upgraded. But xbox controllers even if there is an upgrade, are still controllers. They cannot match a mouse. Graphics card is out of the question. thats why there are different graphical settings that a user can set

G

Mac, Linux, PC, are the same platform. All use mouse keyboard play style. Unless you intend to purposely use a controller, then thats your choice.

Of course in terms of racing or involving games that require you to be able to have a controller to maneuver better, e.g. (force unleashed) Then a controller would be better than a mouse and keyboard

cwolf78

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
Xbox Live integration with Windows is something I have been waiting to come about for YEARS. If PC gaming is going to survive, this is CRITICAL. All you people who are bitching, quit being so selfish. There are plenty of people who want to see this happen. If you don't want to use it, you don't have to. Chances are you can even remove it from Add/Remove Windows Components. I can't believe how many people are dissing Windows 8's new features. Seems like a lot of people like being stuck in the dark ages of computing. Stick with XP or 7 if the new changes upset you that much. Why not go back to Win95 or DOS for that matter. Sheesh. Get with the times.

G

Xbox Live integration with Windows is something I have been waiting to come about for YEARS. If PC gaming is going to survive, this is CRITICAL. All you people who are bitching, quit being so selfish. There are plenty of people who want to see this happen. If you don't want to use it, you don't have to. Chances are you can even remove it from Add/Remove Windows Components. I can't believe how many people are dissing Windows 8's new features. Seems like a lot of people like being stuck in the dark ages of computing. Stick with XP or 7 if the new changes upset you that much. Why not go back to Win95 or DOS for that matter. Sheesh. Get with the times.

Remember, not every change is good. Which is why people debate.

Why do you want Xbox Live to come to windows?

PC gaming is well alive and kicking. Seen Witcher 2? Starcraft 2? No? BF3? (excuse my mirth)

dib

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011
[citation][nom]cwolf78[/nom]Xbox Live integration with Windows is something I have been waiting to come about for YEARS. If PC gaming is going to survive, this is CRITICAL. All you people who are bitching, quit being so selfish. There are plenty of people who want to see this happen. If you don't want to use it, you don't have to. Chances are you can even remove it from Add/Remove Windows Components. I can't believe how many people are dissing Windows 8's new features. Seems like a lot of people like being stuck in the dark ages of computing. Stick with XP or 7 if the new changes upset you that much. Why not go back to Win95 or DOS for that matter. Sheesh. Get with the times.[/citation]

If you look at the evolution of Windows Operating systems you will see that they ALWAYS dumb it down to make it easier for less knowledgeable people to use but not for us power users that don't need some of these stupid hand holding messages and reorganization of icons to access features. They add bulk. I can think of a few features added to windows 7 that are probably annoying to other users but maybe good for users who don't know better.

Look at how long windows 7 has been out. Now windows 8? I just got windows 7 a week ago. Windows OS's are more about making money than they are about improving what is not working. Thats not to say windows 7 sucks but give it 5 years or at least wait til service pack 2 is out before announcing windows 8 is on its way soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.