Question Xfinity boxes?

Aug 30, 2024
I am trying to find out if there are any Xfinity set top boxes that do not require wifi and/or that allow wifi to be turned off, completely. Nobody at xfinity seems to know the answer.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Yes, from my previous experience with them. My cable box at a previous address supported wifi, but wasn't used/configured. Unfortunately, I don't recall the model.

What are you concerned about, or trying to do?

Aug 30, 2024
Yes, from my previous experience with them. My cable box at a previous address supported wifi, but wasn't used/configured. Unfortunately, I don't recall the model.

What are you concerned about, or trying to do?
My kids want tv in their rooms and I really don't want them exposed, regardless of what anybody's beliefs are about wifi. I've had too much experience with illness and cancer and I'm paranoid about these things. It seems that all cable boxes have streaming capabilities. If that's the case, then wouldn't they have to be wifi enabled?

Last edited:

COLGeek

Cybernaut
My kids want tv in their rooms and I really don't want them exposed, regardless of what anybody's beliefs are about wifi. I've had too much experience with illness and cancer and I'm paranoid about these things. It seems that all cable boxes have streaming capabilities. If that's the case, then wouldn't they have to be wifi enabled?
Understood, but those emissions are everywhere, all the time. Unless you plan to put the kids into a Faraday cage, they are exposed.

Sorry, but science doesn't support your concern. However, you are certainly entitled to your opinions/beliefs.

Aug 30, 2024
Understood, but those emissions are everywhere, all the time. Unless you plan to put the kids into a Faraday cage, they are exposed.

Sorry, but science doesn't support your concern. However, you are certainly entitled to your opinions/beliefs.
I don't believe that it's healthy to be in close proximity. Science is conveniently late with exposing the reality of health concerns, especially when there is big money to be made by not exposing it. Science is selling drugs to Alzheimer's patients that they now say doesn't even treat the right problem.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I don't believe that it's healthy to be in close proximity. Science is conveniently late with exposing the reality of health concerns, especially when there is big money to be made by not exposing it. Science is selling drugs to Alzheimer's patients that they now say doesn't even treat the right problem.
Define close proximity. I wasn't being flippant, radio emissions are all around you all the time, except in very isolated cases.

Do you use cell phones at all? Any wireless devices at all (including in your car)? Schools, hospitals, nearly every public venue, business, etc...

Carry on believing what you want, that is okay. However, you are (somewhat) barking up the wrong tree on this one.

Regardless, you should be able to hardwire cable boxes to support multiple TVs, just don't use the wireless portion.

Reactions: USAFRet
Aug 30, 2024
I'm in my last year of vet school. We are seeing a large increase in the numbers of certain types of tumors in animals, which have previously been quite rare. Obviously, there are myriad factors to account for this, however, I cannot dismiss the ubiquity of EMFs. If it is possible to limit any exposure at all, then I'll do it, especially where my kids are sleeping.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I'm in my last year of vet school. We are seeing a large increase in the numbers of certain types of tumors in animals, which have previously been quite rare. Obviously, there are myriad factors to account for this, however, I cannot dismiss the ubiquity of EMFs. If it is possible to limit any exposure at all, then I'll do it, especially where my kids are sleeping.
And how many of those animals were in close, constant contact with emitters?

I hear you, but...as a person of science, you should know better than to jump to conclusions AND to believe much of what is found on the interwebs. There are many crackpot theories and much pseudo-science that make an assortment of unfounded claims.

If a wired solution isn't available to meet your needs, then power those devices down when not in use. Or, don't put those devices in the rooms/proximity of where your kids sleep.