Solved! XPS 8900 Headphone Mic Issue

FlippinMuffins

Prominent
Feb 26, 2017
Hello all, I have been having some trouble with my inline mic not picking up my voice when plugged into my computer. I recently inherited a Dell XPS 8900, using Windows 10 and realtek audio, and bought a splitter to work with my sennheiser headphones. However, whenever I go to recording settings it shows the microphone plugged in but will not pick up my voice. I do have inline 3-button controls on the headset and the mic recording settings does get full green bars when I click the volume controls on the headset but that is it. It does not work like push to talk, just clicks then fades again.

I was wondering if anyone has run into this issue before. I've tried multiple tips found online but nothing has been able to fix the issue so far. The microphone has been listed as my default device and I've also tried switching to the stereo mix with no luck. Any and all help would be appreciated!

Solution
try without the splitter and see if the mic works that way , if not , then its somehow muted or defective , aside from that , i cant help since its not a windows issue but more like a hardware issue

FlippinMuffins

Prominent
Feb 26, 2017

I checked that and put the boost on as well but it didn't help at all. It seems like there's an issue with the mic not turning on or something.

TemplarBlood

Estimable
Sep 17, 2014
try without the splitter and see if the mic works that way , if not , then its somehow muted or defective , aside from that , i cant help since its not a windows issue but more like a hardware issue

Solution

FlippinMuffins

Prominent
Feb 26, 2017

The device itself is working fine as it works fine on my phone. I have also tried a pair of beats and apple ear buds that all work with phones but none work on the computer.

TemplarBlood

Estimable
Sep 17, 2014
if its only on the pc that its not working , then its either not connected right , or the port on the pc is damaged , im sorry i couldnt give more help , however without seeing the issue directly , its an " up in the air " moment , sorry

FlippinMuffins

Prominent
Feb 26, 2017

I feel there must be something wrong with the jack like you said because I got myself a jack to USB converter today and the mic now works on the computer. I feel like there might be some other underlying issue but it's fixed for now. I truly appreciate you helpin me with this!