Solved! XPS for Architecture?

Jan 26, 2019
I'm a first year architecture student, and I'm looking to upgrade my current laptop due to the following issues:

-Very very poor battery life (It's a gaming laptop with an old battery so I only ever really get 1hr of battery life max)

-Poor construction quality (It's made of plastic and I'm starting to see cracks in it on the sides). This has also resulted in a buggy screen.

So after saving up around 1100 euros, I have two options:

Option 1 is to get a laptop my university is offering for 1000 euros; The HP Zbook Studio G4 with i7 7700HQ, Quadro M1200 and 8Gb of RAM.

Option 2 is to get an XPS 15 9570 or 9560 with either 7th or 8th gen i5 or i7, 16Gb of RAM and a GTX 1050(ti).

The use for the laptop would be software like AutoCAD, REVIT, Adobe software and some medium gaming. After reading through forums I can't seem to decide between the two, since option 1 might sound like a good deal but I feel like internals are quite out-dated and I know the battery is quite weak, so I'd feel bad putting money I've saved up into a computer which I made not be happy with in a year.

So my question is, is it worth waiting to get an XPS? Or do you have other laptops to suggest?

Is the Zbook the better deal?

I'm aware that the choice between the two greatly depends on my use, but how big of an actual difference is there between the two? Am I wrong to turn down the university laptop? I'm eager to know if there are any better laptops in that price range

Any answer is greatly appreciated,

Thank you.

Solution
The HP is the better option for the uses you describe. You can always increase the RAM in it as well. How much SSD and/or HDD storage is in each system?
Jan 26, 2019
MERGED QUESTION
Question from mateo.edward.white : "Which laptop for Architecture?"

I'm a first year architecture student, and I'm looking to upgrade my current laptop due to the following issues:

\-Very very poor battery life (It's a gaming laptop with an old battery so I only ever really get 1hr of battery life max)

\-Poor construction quality (It's made of plastic and I'm starting to see cracks in it on the sides). This has also resulted in a buggy screen.

So after saving up around 1100 euros, I have two options:

Option 1 is to get a laptop my university is offering for 1000 euros; The HP Zbook Studio G4 with i7 7700HQ, Quadro M1200 and 8Gb of RAM.

Option 2 is to get an XPS 15 9570 or 9560 with either 7th or 8th gen i5 or i7, 16Gb of RAM and a GTX 1050(ti).

The use for the laptop would be software like AutoCAD, REVIT, Adobe software and some medium gaming. After reading through forums I can't seem to decide between the two, since option 1 might sound like a good deal but I feel like internals are quite out-dated and I know the battery is quite weak, so I'd feel bad putting money I've saved up into a computer which I made not be happy with in a year.

So my question is, is it worth waiting to get an XPS? Or do you have other laptops to suggest?

Is the Zbook the better deal?

I'm aware that the choice between the two greatly depends on my use, but how big of an actual difference is there between the two? Am I wrong to turn down the university laptop? I'm eager to know if there are any better laptops in that price range

Any answer is greatly appreciated,

Thank you.