Y580 Upgrade HDD to SSD- Will This One Work?

aaron_c

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2009
Hey guys, quick question before I make this rather large purchase (of the laptop and the SSD). I'd prefer to order it tonight as I need it by this weekend ideally.

Will the SSD linked below, directly replace the 1TB 5400rpm HDD that comes in this Lenovo Y580? I'm wanting to keep temps and noise lower and boot times/load speeds higher. If this one won't directly replace it, can you guys link me to one that will?

Thanks!

Y580: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834246630
SSD: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211603

Solution
You can install the SSD in place of the hard drive in the laptop's drive bay with no issues. The original hard drive should come in some sort of bracket, just remove the hard drive and install the SSD into that bracket and plug it into the laptop.

Then you just have to transfer the software onto the SSD, which ships blank. A cloning utility can be used to clone the original contents of the hard drive.

SchizTech

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
You can install the SSD in place of the hard drive in the laptop's drive bay with no issues. The original hard drive should come in some sort of bracket, just remove the hard drive and install the SSD into that bracket and plug it into the laptop.

Then you just have to transfer the software onto the SSD, which ships blank. A cloning utility can be used to clone the original contents of the hard drive.

Solution

aaron_c

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2009
Do you think SSD's currently last long enough for it to be viable for use as my primary drive? Or would I be better off with maybe a 64GB mSATA SSD (to boot from and run most used programs from) and the 1TB hard drive to store data?

SchizTech

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
SSDs should last a good number of years.

What were you going to do with that HDD after you take it out? If you need the storage space you could grab a USB 3.0 enclosure and turn that drive into an external hard drive.

FerboFer

Commendable
Nov 27, 2016

I am wanting to do the same thing, could you tell me if the Samsung SSD 750 EVO is compatible? And the OCZ Trion 150? Both are SATA 3
I would just have to open my pc and remove the hdd to replace it by my new SSD?