Replacement SSD for Lenovo y510p Stock SSD

hahndm

Great
Sep 4, 2018
Hello. I've recently had my SSD fail in my Lenovo y510p. It is the version with both a 1Tb HDD and a 24Gb SSD. The SSD was only used for my OS. Im looking to buy a replacement/upgrade, but by my research, it isn't a standard SSD brick (though I do understand that I could upgrade my HDD to that).

My understanding is that it is an M.2 SSD (the product n ui mber for the stock part is "Toshiba thnsnx024gmnt"). When i was looking on Newegg for M.2 SSD however, they didn't appear to have the same connectors or were the same shape as what I saw online for the stock Toshiba.

Can anyone help me figure out what to search for or suggestions on what to buy? I really only need enough space for the OS (and cost is a factor), so lower space should be fine. I'm just not 100% sure what will fit.

Thank you very much.

EDIT: After more research, I think my question boils down to "will any m.2 sata ssd fit?" I found something about needing a 42mm one, and the Samsung 860 EVO I was looking at seems too large compared to the stock part. Thanks.

Solution
Finally figured it out. I didn't realize there were different lengths, denoted by 2242, 2260, 2280, etc. So it appears I need a 2242. Beyond that, it doesn't seem to matter what size, based on that thread that was linked.

Out of all my searching on the internet, no one mentioned that specific number was necessary. Very surprised, but I think I got it figured out now. EDIT: SkynetRising did mention it. I just didn't realize what S42 meant. Thanks a bunch.

Lutfij

Splendid
Is it possible to share a picture of the slot on your laptop and the drive you had in that slot?

What you previously had was an SSHD it's a mechanical HDD with a small sized SSD onboard. These sort of drives tend to be best used as a cache drives. On that note, your laptop doesn't seem to have a 24GB SSD bundled, only an 8GB SSD(cache drive).

If you're sure it's an M.2 slot and not an mSATA slot, you can drop this into your laptop and call it a day.

This thread would be a good read regardless.

SkyNetRising

Estimable
Jan 4, 2016
That is SATA M.2 S42.
Toshiba-THNSNX024GMNT-SSD-M-2-NGFF-140GB-512GB-THNSNX024GMNT-b-155594.jpg

hahndm

Great
Sep 4, 2018

Mine looks the same as in the thread you linked, except that I have a 24GB SSD in the SSD slot. Here is my personal computer (first time taking the back off so it took me a bit): https://imgur.com/a/zMsva36

The y510p had multiple configurations, including one that had a 1TB HDD and a 24GB SSD. Whether it's a cache SSD or not, I've been running my OS on it since I got the laptop (I believe it came preloaded that way, or I did it myself at the recommendation of a certain squad of geeks, I can't remember which).

I guess my question is, is something like this not the proper size? If they are both M.2 SSDs, what's the difference?

I will take a further look into that thread. Thank you.

hahndm

Great
Sep 4, 2018
Finally figured it out. I didn't realize there were different lengths, denoted by 2242, 2260, 2280, etc. So it appears I need a 2242. Beyond that, it doesn't seem to matter what size, based on that thread that was linked.

Out of all my searching on the internet, no one mentioned that specific number was necessary. Very surprised, but I think I got it figured out now. EDIT: SkynetRising did mention it. I just didn't realize what S42 meant. Thanks a bunch.

Solution