Yahoo IM suddenly freezing up

greyfeld

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012
Today, I fixed the resolution issue I was having with the VGA box I've been using to connect my PS3 to my computer monitor.

Short after fixing this issue, I tried to log into Yahoo IM (which I had no problem connecting to last night), but now it doesn't seem to want to work. (I only mention the VGA situation on the left-field chance it has anything to do with the issue, which I doubt.)

I can open the messenger window without any problems, but when I try to log in, the program freeze up. Not only does the program freeze up, but my PC starts clicking, and the entire computer starts chugging along like the entire system is being bogged down. A couple times, while trying to run the program, Windows 7 has given me an alert that one of my programs was "using a high amount of disc space," although I'm not entirely sure what that means.

Noteably, I can still browse the internet without issue or slowdown while this is happening, it's just accessing anything from my computer that becomes a problem (even from a thumbdrive, or my external harddrive).

I've tried running YIM while the computer was in safe mode, I've tried running it in XP Compatability mode, I've tried adjusting the permissions and doing a direct "run as administrator," and even uninstalling the program and reinstalling it in case some files got corrupted somehow. Nothing's made any difference.

I also haven't run into any other programs that have had this issue. I was thinking that maybe my harddrive needs to be replaced (due to the clicking sound), but if it's only YIM having the problem, then can it really be that HDD?

Anyway, any suggestions or thoughts on the matter would be immensely helpful.

greyfeld

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012

My HDD is 400gb, and there's well over 200gb of space left on it. I reformatted the drive when I upgraded my computer almost two months ago, so I haven't bothered to run a defrag as of yet.

greyfeld

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012

Weird, I never received an email that there was a new reply to this thread.

I'm afraid I'm not very computer-savvy. I don't know what you're referring to when you ask abut a "paging file."