Yamaha Displays 1mm-Thick Cloth Speaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

burnley14

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
This is the perfect advertisement. You can print on it, it produces audio, and it can only be heard from a very specific area? Perfect.

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Wow, this is just... wow! I love to see stories like this. Truly new and innovative technology. The applications for something like this are limitless.

jecht

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2009
[citation][nom]fortmccubble[/nom]I'll just pick a few of these up and hang them around my room, goodbye bulky mess![/citation]

Yeah, you can bet they won't have any bass to them though. You have to be able to move enough air to produce low, powerful tones, like a kick drum in a song or an explosion in a movie. There's just no way that cloth can do that. That's probably why this tech was being demo'd as an advertisement instead of a replacement for speakers.

steiner666

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
"Various reports indicate that Yamaha quietly showcased a prototype speaker technology..." lol yeah, i'm guessing 1mm thick piece of fabric can't produce anything to high in volume or quality.

G

Pretty sure its ultrsound audio that works by creating interfearance patterns beetween two ultrasonic sources. It should have a frequency range of 20 Hz to 20 KHz.

the_one111

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2008
[citation][nom]sunflier[/nom]Let's see, a woman's voice emitting from my own towel... ;P[/citation]
[Seductive voice]Bob, you missed a spot.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
Could you elaborate a bit about your "flat sound wave" comment?

Normal sound waves aren't always curved. There are many, many basic forms of a sound wave. Sine (what you probably know as curvy), Sawtooth, Square, and triangle. Mixing these basic waves together creates the complex wave that normally makes up any given sound. That's basically how synthesizers make sound (in a very basic manner of speaking).

Now, to say that the wave is FLAT... you're either saying it's a square wave (which would be an inaccurate description), or.... silence.

Please elaborate.

G

Would be a major product of interest for onstage musicians.
I can also see this product installed in airplanes and tourbusses above the passengers as their personal radio or monitor.

Also in churches, cathedrals, exhibitions and museums it would help!

Status
Not open for further replies.